Skip to main content

I need some MTH passenger car light bulbs and sockets.  The cost for 30 items $30, but the shipping was $51.98,  I did not place the order.  This is an outrageous cost, for such tiny items.  The only shipping option I had was for FedEx ground. If I call MTH would they have a better solution on shipping?  Is there a better way to get parts?

Attachments

Images (1)
  • mceclip0
Last edited by Former Member
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Bob Severin posted:

Try Town and Country Hobbies for light bulbs.  (http://stores.towncountryhobbies.com).  they have lots of bulbs, including direct LED replacements.  They may have what you need, and their shipping charges are reasonable.

Thanks Bob, 

Unfortunately, I need the sockets (shown as a #12 below).  These are all broken,  the plastic did not hold up over time.  I did not want to rewire them, but I may have to, using Lionel style sockets that I can get cheaply from Jeff the train tender. 

Attachments

Images (1)
  • mceclip0

Sometimes the shipping charges are outrageous, I agree.  And the $51.98 you mentioned is downright criminal.  I'm sure the lamps you want can fit into the small USPS priority box that costs less than $7.00, including insurance.  

I buy alot on Evilbay and always weigh the cost of shipping.  There are way too many "O" gauge offerings there, so it's an easy task to "shop around".  

I have acquaintances in Australia.  Those poor guys down in OZ pay through the nose for shipping.  And most of what they buy for their layouts comes from Europe or here.  

Paul,

I'd appreciate if you'd share a phone number with extension for a good contact at MTH.

AFAIK, MTH's only phone number for Tech Support is 410-381-2580 and follow the prompts. Calling anyone directly at their extension that you don't know personally, for a favor, I would classify as being rude.

I can assure you of 2 things if you call during support hours (M-F, Noon-4:30 pm):

• If you select Parts, you'll have to leave a voice mail. The parts people, including and especially Midge, are constantly working to get parts orders filled and do not typically answer the phone. However, if you leave a voice mail on the consumer parts line, Midge will respond.
  • If you select Service, you'll get a live person.

If you want to order parts and you cannot use the automated process because yo lack a part number or need more information, you are better off communicating directly with Midge via E-mail. Use the address midge-at-mth-railking.com (remove the dashes and change "at" to "@".

Leave a detailed message with as much information as you can. This is what I do when I need parts that I cannot order without assistance.

Last edited by Barry Broskowitz

Thanks everyone for offers of assistance.  I was able to locate an online source for the parts, Brasseur, which only charged me about $12 for shipping, using  their low cost shipping option.  I work full time and don't have time to call MTH to see what is going on with their web site for parts.  

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.