Skip to main content

So I'm running my big boy today at the club and it did this last time I ran it as well,  it would take off for the whistle on Bell and activate the crew talk randomly then out of nowhere it will take off fast.  I didn't touch the remote nothing my hands are off the remote and it takes off. 

so today I flipped it upside down and hooked up to wires and the front motor sits still and the rear motor moves and then after couple seconds the front motor starts to work. And then when I ran it again it would just sit there and you only way to move is  to push it or give it very high throttle speed step have a take off and lower it back down.

Any ideas what is wrong with my engine?

Product number: 6-11208

Thanks 

Attachments

Videos (1)
trim.D34F44ED-A8E2-46EF-9EE2-2C943D67739C
Last edited by SDIV Tim
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Tim: One thought on your problem-sounds like the TMCC signal could be intermittent. Have you checked to be sure the handrails (antenna) are indeed isolated from the boiler casting? If they are grounding out, operation will be erratic. Look closely at each handrail stanchion an see if any are broken/missing/or letting the handrail touch the boiler casting somehow.

Best check is to remove the boiler casting and use a DVM to be sure you're not grounding the handrails to the boiler casting. You could also check and be sure the antenna leads from the handrails to the electronics are installed tight on the inner end of the handrail(s).

D&H 65 posted:

Tim: One thought on your problem-sounds like the TMCC signal could be intermittent. Have you checked to be sure the handrails (antenna) are indeed isolated from the boiler casting? If they are grounding out, operation will be erratic. Look closely at each handrail stanchion an see if any are broken/missing/or letting the handrail touch the boiler casting somehow.

Best check is to remove the boiler casting and use a DVM to be sure you're not grounding the handrails to the boiler casting. You could also check and be sure the antenna leads from the handrails to the electronics are installed tight on the inner end of the handrail(s).

I took it apart and the connector was plugged in. Disconnected it then reconnected the plug.

i will check in a little bit. Most likely the motor is shot to because I've had the same thing for six years and I've been running it like crazy

First off, only one motor has the speed sensor, so your diagnostic of turning it upside down probably didn't tell you much.  There are very few locomotives that will run both motors at the same speed when they're running no-load not on the track.  It's standard for the Odyssey controlled motor to react properly, as long as the other motor isn't totally bound up and does move reasonably, I don't pay much attention to it.

Personally, I'd reseat all the connectors first and closely inspect the wiring.  The symptoms suggest to me that you may have a problem with the RCDR.  Signal issues don't normally manifest themselves with random audio responses, those are driven from the serial data through the IR tether.  I have had a broken wire in the IR tether making intermittent contact cause random audio effects.  Taking off at full speed is also possibly a symptom of the Odyssey sensor or DCDS failing.  Since you have two symptoms, the common controlling element is the RCDR...

Attachments

Images (1)
  • mceclip0

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.