Skip to main content

I saw an earlier post that some members had the older Lionel TMCC BPC's for sale. My question is, Can these work on more than one block of track with only one track power controller (TPC) for a conventional layout? Or do you need more than one TPC for several blocks of track? The literature is not clear and am just starting to build my smaller layout with all older engines, etc. with 3 smaller transformers and want to be sure all is safe and correctly wired for isolated sections of track.

I know I can use single pole single throw switches to power the blocks also. Any suggestions for those switches as well?

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The BPC your inquiring about will allow 4 blocks, or loops, or 4 independent main lines. If your running conventional with a cab 1, Cab 1L Remote, via the TPC track power controller, it requires a good transformer, or Lionel 180 watt brick. I’m probably going to confuse you, but this BPC would allow 1 TPC to control 4 blocks called side 1, aux 1, then another TPC to control the same blocks using side 2 aux 2. This was designed to allow a block for TMCC, and another block by another controller with variable conventional power. You would need to pull up the instructions sheet for clarification.

Im sure your set to go conventional, however, Command Control is really easy to learn and would give you more consistent control of your trains. Good luck and enjoy your new adventure in model railroading.

Early BPC's, before Lionel bought the rights, were a bit light on circuit wiring.  Dead short derails were a problem for  IC Controls, BPC 3000's.   They can be fixed.   I found that IC Control parts, and new issue Lionel BPC's, did not operate together.

Pictured:  Two power supplies (TPC's), one conventional, one fixed voltage, command, as mentioned,  (4) track circuits, per BPC, Total (8) track circuits.   There is literature, and diagrams, of BPC's being used with (4) Power supplies to two track systems.

Power from Two TPC's Track Power Controllers. (Silver boxes)

Last edited by Mike CT

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.