Skip to main content

At a train meet today I bought what was described as (and appears to be) a brand new in-the-box Celebration Series 282R Gantry Crane.  Magnet works great, but nothing else does; motors spin but no movement left/right or up/down.  Bummer.

I' trying to track down the fellow from whom I purchased the crane, but in the meantime I'm preparing for the worst.  I've looked through the Lionel service info and although I haven't found the specific exploded diagram for this crane I've found other information that appears similar.  This unit appears to use the 600-2315-300 Motor and Gearbox Assembly to animate the cab and boom.  Can someone tell me if this "assembly" is serviceable, i.e., is there a belt that can be replaced or something that can adjusted therein, or is this just a toss/replace the entire assembly situation?  Also, is there a specific exploded diagram and parts list for this unit (and maybe the Motor and gearbox Assembly too?), and if so where might I find it/them?

As always, thanks in advance for any help.

Frank Silvia

79-14309

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Well, the good news is that the crane uses two of those motor units which are in a number of incarnations of this accessory, and they are serviceable, and available, if needed. Probably the grease has hardened and the belts are slipping, which will require dis assembly of the gearboxes(not too difficult) to clean out the old and put in the new(Lucas Red 'N' Tacky #2).

Rob is right on. Removing the legs from the crane first seems to work the best for me.  Then there are two screws for each motor assembly to remove the assembly from the center mounting plate.  Once they're removed you have to pop one end of the plastic gear case and then it pivots open on the other end.  Inside is a worm gear that will be all gummed up with nasty grease. Clean that off and possibly replace the belts in there and it should work. 

Hey guys, just want to say thanks for the advice.  The grease was indeed hardened, and "nasty" doesn't begin to describe how thick (almost solid) that stuff was.  Nonetheless, a little bit of paint thinner made short work of it, and a little Red 'N Tacky #2 has the crane running like a champ.

One footnote, though...although the motor/gearing setup on this crane is similar to other modern era cranes, the components appear to be slightly smaller on this crane than on its predecessors.  As such, the belts used on the older cranes are too large to fit this particular model.  I'll have to do a bit more research to find the correct exploded diagram for this unit to get the correct part number for those belts.

Again, thanks for your help...much appreciated.

Just keeping this very useful thread alive. Because of it, I was able to service my PWC 282R gantry crane (6-22998). It runs like a champ now!  A few comments: 1) opening the cover on the gearboxes is a devil of a job but doable with patience and care, 2) both belts were fine and didn't need to be replaced and 3) one of the two gearboxes is a bit growly in one direction.  Does anyone know if there is more than one shim at the end of the worm gear?

Last edited by cwp_ogr

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.