Skip to main content

I recently obtained a 6-24147 Sawmill and have some questions.  Most of the other trains and accessories I have are Post War and I have found good information on most of the PW items.  Are there good sources for parts lists and wiring diagrams for Modern equipment?

The drive belt is slipping and the Lionel web site shows that it is not available.  Is there a good source for this belt and the other two (o-ring style) belts that drive the saw blade in the front?  OR have you found a good substitute for these belts?

Also, there is a small light on the right side under the shed roof which has loose wires?  Is this something a previous owner added? Where should I run wires and where should they be connected?

Other than these small issues, the accessory runs fine.  Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Dennis24147 Sawmill Extra Light 224147 Sawmill Extra Light

Attachments

Images (2)
  • 24147 Sawmill Extra Light 2
  • 24147 Sawmill Extra Light
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

That light is just an aftermarket light someone added.  probably just held on by double sided tape.

The belt should not be slipping as it is plastic with notches along the edge (like movie film) that connects with the spools that have fingers around the circumference.  The one spool at the right side is spring loaded to keep tension on it.  It is part of the base.  See below in red.

Inked624147SAWMILL_LI

Check to make sure:

Belt notches are not torn

Spool fingers are not broken off

Spool has tension

Also, you can run it with the end covers off to see if maybe its just jamming the fingers that are attached to the belt and stopping it.  Sometime they have been bent and need adjsutment to make sure they pass through the sawmill without hitting any of the structure.

As far as the belts for the saw blade, those are tough, as the sawblade itself is very cheaply made and using one with too much tension cocks the blade against the wall (too much slop in the design)

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Inked624147SAWMILL_LI

I thought that the light was an add-on because I could not find any mention of it anywhere.

Sorry I did not make it clear.  The drive belt I am questioning is the one shown as #5 in the picture of parts.  It looks like a rubber band (flat).  The Conveyor belt that looks like clear film is in good shape as are the spool fingers.  Do you know where I can find this rubber band style belt?

Thanks

DS Texas posted:

I thought that the light was an add-on because I could not find any mention of it anywhere.

Sorry I did not make it clear.  The drive belt I am questioning is the one shown as #5 in the picture of parts.  It looks like a rubber band (flat).  The Conveyor belt that looks like clear film is in good shape as are the spool fingers.  Do you know where I can find this rubber band style belt?

Thanks

Oh gotcha that makes more sense.  I don’t know of an aftermarket supplier for that belt.  Maybe someone on here knows of a close after market one.  Should be the same on all the modern era sawmills with the can motors.  

I know it says not available but sometimes Lionel does that to keep certain parts in stock for repairs.   It might be worth a call.  They have made sawmills in the last few years and my have the belt. I have gotten parts when I called even when the website said not available. 

I’d give it a shot.

Last edited by Sean's Train Depot

The number 5 belt is not available from Lionel. I called the Train Station in Mountain Lakes N.J. and they do not have it. I am going to Walker Hardware in Totowa,  with the  Saw Mill to see if he may have a part that will work. I tried a few rubber plumbing parts but they only worked a short time. I think the original band had small teeth that gripped the wheels and drove the large belt that moves the logs and cut wood.

I don't have a source anymore, but look to older TV repair shops. Basically they did record player and tape player repairs too. They used many similar parts like these in those devices. A coin-op supplier would be another possible source. Grainger used to carry a nice variety of drive belts, but searching the site isn't an equal to flipping a catalog page there. Like many things, computer searches aren't as good for hunting one-off parts in my experience.

Maybe a robotics supply?

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.