Skip to main content

I have the above engine and the box says "TMCC and Railsounds upgradable". Does this mean that I can literally add a radio receiver board and switch out the bell and whistle sounds board - Signal Sounds? with a Railsounds board or is there anything else I need to do please?

No instructions came with the engine and looking on Lionel's site they only refer to the radio board.

Thanks

MIKE

Last edited by mike w
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I don't know this particular engine but upgradable usually meant that there were some preparations inside the engine and tender for in this case to facilitate an upgrade. There were kits but would be hard to find now. 

An ERR install should be a little easier due to the preparations.

On that engine you do have get a radio board and audio board. Not sure what Lionel was thinking when they did this. The audio board is identical to a railsounds board except for the code. 

For the audio board Lionel has many options now. You can get a generic steam board in RS4 or you may find one for a UP engine in RS4 or RS5. Either will work.

You will still have one chuff per rev though unless you add a new chuff switch of some sort like magnets and reed switch on a tender wheel.

Pete

Mike, you will need both a new Railsounds board and an R2LC for full TMCC. I guess when Lionel said upgradable they meant its just a simple board swap, which it is.  You only need the audio board, not the audio power board which is already in that engine.

They used to sell a kit with these two boards, and may still but today you have the option of many more audio boards to choose from. When shopping for R2LCs get one that has the 08 code. That one is compatible with the most engine setups.

Generic steam

Or use anyone if specific road name and engine number is not important.

https://www.lionelsupport.com/...p;q=RS4E&match=0

Pete

Last edited by Norton

I'm pretty sure the Signal-Sounds board in that unit is TMCC compatible, so for just whistle & bell, you can run with that until you decide you need full sounds.  If you want full RailSounds with chuffing, crew talk, etc., you'll have to buy both the RS Power Supply and RS Audio Board, the Signal Sounds board stands along and does not use the standard RS Power Supply, it has self-contained power.  You will note in the upgrade notes in the above manual they specify adding both of the RailSounds boards to replace the Signal Sounds board.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • mceclip0

I'm guessing you bought an R2LC with a C08 code or later.

If I remember correctly, the Harriman Consolidations were designed around the C07 code, which has backwards lighting outputs compared to later R2LC's.

The good news is that there's an easy fix... remove the white 2-pin LEOCO plug from the boiler front headlight/classification light assembly. Reverse the wires in the plug, and re-connect. You should be good-to-go.

TRW

Last edited by PaperTRW

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.