Skip to main content

Just picked this cute little engine up and I have a few questions…

1) Does anyone have an “owners manual” for this engine? I can’t seem to access them on Lionel’s site (dead links)

2) Does this engine have cruise? I assume Oddyssey=cruise but the engine slows down considerably around O36 curves when running conventional (MTH Z1000). Ody switch is on… It didn’t seem to have speed issues at the club (command running and much wider curves), but I’m not 100% sure because I was having signal issues likely due to dirty wheels…

3) (this is more of a “would be nice” question) Is it possible to get 4 chuffs and a quilling whistle into this engine?

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Thanks for the help! Of course the manual says the Oddessey system provides consistent speeds regardless of load/grades/curves in command and conventional environments, but apparently that was a bit optimistic...

I'll have to decide if I want to go ahead with the upgrades... I have spent a considerable amount of money on trains recently, so it might be a while before I can justify replacing electronics that aren't broken... The chuff generator might get by the CFO, but the ERR board probably won't right now, especially since I'm on the hunt for a nice CN wood caboose (or one to re-letter) to match this engine...

Jon, have you tried the Odyssey switch in both positions? It should be pushed towards the front of the engine. The marking is a bit ambiguous as it can appear like Odyssey ON when it really says NO Odyssey.

I also recently acquired this same engine though its for another project, converting it to a Strasburg 2-6-0.

These are sweet runners with TMCC. Very well made. I used my last 4 lobe cam on it or I would have sent you one.

Pete

Any thoughts on improving signal reception?

I’ve found that this engine has issues with stalling, blinking headlight, and skipping chuffs that go away if I put a finger on the handrails (not a fun or easy way to run trains, and doesn’t work in tunnels, bridges or other inaccessible areas). This is at the club, so I’m not sure how much I can do on the layout side of things, so I’m wondering if there’s any tricks or mods I can apply to the engine?

Any thoughts on improving signal reception?

I’ve found that this engine has issues with stalling, blinking headlight, and skipping chuffs that go away if I put a finger on the handrails (not a fun or easy way to run trains, and doesn’t work in tunnels, bridges or other inaccessible areas). This is at the club, so I’m not sure how much I can do on the layout side of things, so I’m wondering if there’s any tricks or mods I can apply to the engine?

The handrails at both end fit into plastic insulating grommets. Make sure one hasn’t fallen out or the TMCC signal will short to ground. If all four are intact then maybe the antenna wire has somehow gotten disconnected from the radio board. Removing the shell on this engine is a delicate operation. Its pretty well packed in there, pay special attention to the headlight bulb are wires.

Pete

I’m not convinced that the engine actually has a problem, I think it’s more of an issue with dead spots on the club layout… it’s definitely tied to certain spots on the layout… I can’t make it to the work nights at the club due to scheduling conflicts so there’s not much I can do on that end…

Could I check for a short between the handrails and the shell with a multi-meter without disassembling the locomotive or do I need to unplug the antenna wire from the TMCC board to get a good reading?

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.