Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

@Secarider posted:

Can I use two 8 OHM Fat Boy speakers in series, in a tender that has only one16 OHM Fat Boy speaker. Without damaging the tenders electronics. I cannot find a suitable replacement for a Lionel 6-38050 tender, that has the 16 OHM Fat Boy speaker.

So, to be very specific and answer directly your exact question (sorry for the multiple posts) No, that is not what I would recommend. It would be quieter than normal because you would be presenting a 16Ohm load to the railsounds when it expects and was designed for 8 Ohms.

You could go 2each 4Ohm speakers in series to get 8Ohms

Or 2 16 Ohm speakers in parallel to get 8 Ohms

Or one 8 Ohm speaker.

Unfortunately, we are in tough times and may not be able to get the exact speaker but it is the standard 50mm size. In the past I was using these but they are now out of stock https://www.digikey.com/en/pro...50-WP-16-OHM/9842378

I think you can make 2 of these work if you carefully cut the mounting tabs off (using metal shears- using a dremel around the magnet would create metal fuzz) Gikfun 2" 4Ohm 3W Full Range Audio Speaker Stereo Woofer Loudspeaker for Arduino (Pack of 2pcs) EK1725

Again, put these in series and that would be 8 Ohms.

You can get a bit creative with the speaker's physical dimensions. Just keep in mind the old RS4/5 audio amp can drive 1.5W and needs to see at least 8ohms for a speaker load. I really doubt you can hurt one of those Fat Boys though.

Some of the newer 40mm 16ohm Baby Fat Boys are OK with the matching dual speaker enclosures.  

I have been hunting and collecting speakers for my upgrades and mods. Here's a nice oval one I got from eBay that works well:

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.