Skip to main content

I recently purchased a new, in the box, 6-5133 Lionel switch. When I wired it up, including the voltage plug, and throw the lever,  it won't complete the turn-in but makes noise like it wants to but doesn't and reverts backs to the original position.  I'm puzzled so any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

George G. 

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Impossible to know without having the switch in hand, but since you can hear the solenoid trying to operate the points I suspect your problem might be mechanical.  When you turn the lantern (gently, it should move easily) does the switch change direction?  Both ways?

If not here are the things that I would check:  Is the swivel pin correctly seated in the pivoting assembly?  Is the lock hinge stuck on the moving contact?  Does the switch motor operate correctly when it is removed from the switch body?  The only time I had a problem like you describe is when I re-installed the switch motor improperly and the swivel pin was jammed up against the pivoting assembly.

All my switches are 5132/5133.  They are identical to the O22.  Here is a link to the O22 Service Manual-, which is the document I use to service my switches.

Pete

El Classico posted:
bmoran4 posted:
El Classico posted:

Just cut the wires to the coil and use it as a manual.

I think you are jumping the gun a bit too early.

I find that when the Chinese made 022 types fail, they don't repair like the 022's. I use them as manuals instead.

That's cool, except the 5132/5133 were made in Mount Clemens, Michigan and they're easily repaired.  I don't really know how or why they got renumbered, they're the same as the O22s.

Pete

Texas Pete posted:
...the 5132/5133 were made in Mount Clemens, Michigan and they're easily repaired.  I don't really know how or why they got renumbered, they're the same as the O22s.

Pete

It may look like MPC/Fundimensions goofed when they assigned "5022", the natural postwar -> MPC 4 digit catalog number for related/similar carried over items, to the redesigned O-27 manual switch some 10 years+ prior to the reissue of the 022 "O" remote switch. 

To be fair, though, it is also the natural postwar -> MPC 4 digit catalog number for the postwar 1022 O-27 manual switch.

Dealing with both 3 digit and 4 digit postwar numbers, something had to give... MPC could have used "2022", except the "2" was usually used on accessories, "5" on track items, and numbers in the "2" range would start to get confused with postwar locomotives.

ADCX Rob posted:
Texas Pete posted:
...the 5132/5133 were made in Mount Clemens, Michigan and they're easily repaired.  I don't really know how or why they got renumbered, they're the same as the O22s.

Pete

It may look like MPC/Fundimensions goofed when they assigned "5022", the natural postwar -> MPC 4 digit catalog number for related/similar carried over items, to the redesigned O-27 manual switch some 10 years+ prior to the reissue of the 022 "O" remote switch. 

To be fair, though, it is also the natural postwar -> MPC 4 digit catalog number for the postwar 1022 O-27 manual switch.

Dealing with both 3 digit and 4 digit postwar numbers, something had to give... MPC could have used "2022", except the "2" was usually used on accessories, "5" on track items, and numbers in the "2" range would start to get confused with postwar locomotives.

Say what?

Pete

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.