Skip to main content

This month I installed 6-81315 Lionel Coal Loading Station on my layout.  The Owner's Manual is pretty specific about the type of coal to use with it.  The manual stated that there was a starter bag of coal included, but there was none.  It is recommended to use small-size coal (6-12732)) or medium-size coal (6-16889).  Anything larger may jam the loading mechanism.

I have the medium-size coal that works great with my #497 Coaling Station.  I put some in the 6-81315 and pushed the on button.  The paddle made a half a revolution and a piece of coal jammed so tight between the flexible paddle and side wall that I needed a pliers to remove it.

The next try was with the small-size coal I had on hand.  The paddle made one revolution and again jammed.  I contacted Lionel to ask for the packet of coal that was supposed to be included with the station to verify what size coal should be used with the station.  I was graciously informed that coal was not included with the stations and had to be ordered separately.

What do I do now!  I had some course ballast on hand and thought I would give that a try.  Low and behold, I now have a Ballast Loading Station on my layout that works great.  The gray ballast also looks good in a black "coal" hopper!

Original Post

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.