Skip to main content

Wi-Fi quit working. Does not show up on my IPad at all.  Using Legacy Base/Cab-2. Wi-Fi set to ‘ACCESS POINT’, ‘BASE’.   When system power turned on, PDI light & WIFI lights blink & go off.  iPad does not get signal from WI-FI. Per manual, tried changing WI-FI channel, which did not work, tried Restoring WIFI(both LEDS continue to flash, manual says both LEDS will give 3 quick flashes).

This problem has occurred after adding LCS LRV2 to layout.   If I remove PDI cable between WI-FI & IRV box 6-85296, WI-FI still inoperable.    Can’t say WI-FI became inoperable immediately after installing IRV2.  I have used WI-FI very little too date.
Any suggestions????   I guess it’s possible for whatever reason, WI-FI just went bad.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Also my Wi-Fi box will blink until a device attached to the Wi-Fi box.  Then blink quickly to show activity.  I am joined to my Home Network so the LED indicators may be different for the "Access Point" mode.  i went to look for my manual and it is not where I have all my manuals.  It would appear i have some looking to do.

Yes, when working correctly, LED blinks as you stated Showing connection made to a device, iPad in my case.

WIFI is not showing up in my iPad ‘settings/wifi’ to select it to make a connection.    Initial thought was WI-FI signal may be interfered by another signal(have MTH WI-FI, which is working, Base, transformer etc plugged into same power strip).  Tried to eliminate signal inference, if one, by disconnecting MTH WF, IRV, & moved around where transformer, base etc were plugged into power strip.  Nothing helped.  That’s when I tried to reset WI-FI box per manual, but appears it would not reset, LEDS would not quit blinking until I powered it down.   Did reset per Lionel manual.     Assume manual procedures correct.

Last edited by W&W

I am not an Apple guy so I am coming to the end of my ideas.  As a final suggestion, do you have another Smart device, Like an Iphone?  Does that device show the Wi-Fi Access Point SSID? If it does It may be your IPad.  If it does not you are back to trying to figure out why the Lionel Device is not broadcasting the SSID.

Yes I have additional iPads, iPhone that I’ve tried w/no success.  Thank you so much for trying to help.  Appreciate it.

Well if the Lionel Wi-Fi box is not broadcasting the SSID, you won't see it and if none of your devices see it that points back to the Box.  As another diagnostic move the "Access Point" switch to "Join a Network" and see if you can connect the Wi-Fi Box to your router.  To be totally transparent, I am not sure how the Wi-Fi Protected Setup is done as I have never had issues using WPS to connect to my router.  But maybe under this scenario the SSID is still broadcasted, I would have to investigate to know how WPS functions to connect devices to a Router with WPS.  My Lionel Wi-Fi box is connected to my router and I have never been able to connect Bluetrain 4 on my phone to my base to issue commands to my Locomotives.  I run my computer to update my Base with information though.  And finally since you do have other smart devices do you have a Wi-Fi diagnostic tool on any of them?  On my android Phone i have two or three.  i use an App called "Wifi Analytics" from Netgear most often.  Maybe thye Apple Store has a similar App.  I just went down stairs and turned my layout on.  I am reticent to disconnect my box and retry reconnecting to my Router to see if during the connecting process if the SSID is part of the protocol to connect by WPS. Sorry I have no further thoughts except to buy a new Lionel Wi-Fi Box.

Good Luck

Well if the Lionel Wi-Fi box is not broadcasting the SSID, you won't see it and if none of your devices see it that points back to the Box.  As another diagnostic move the "Access Point" switch to "Join a Network" and see if you can connect the Wi-Fi Box to your router.  To be totally transparent, I am not sure how the Wi-Fi Protected Setup is done as I have never had issues using WPS to connect to my router.  But maybe under this scenario the SSID is still broadcasted, I would have to investigate to know how WPS functions to connect devices to a Router with WPS.  My Lionel Wi-Fi box is connected to my router and I have never been able to connect Bluetrain 4 on my phone to my base to issue commands to my Locomotives.  I run my computer to update my Base with information though.  And finally since you do have other smart devices do you have a Wi-Fi diagnostic tool on any of them?  On my android Phone i have two or three.  i use an App called "Wifi Analytics" from Netgear most often.  Maybe thye Apple Store has a similar App.  I just went down stairs and turned my layout on.  I am reticent to disconnect my box and retry reconnecting to my Router to see if during the connecting process if the SSID is part of the protocol to connect by WPS. Sorry I have no further thoughts except to buy a new Lionel Wi-Fi Box.

Good Luck

Thank you Jim for your responses.  The WI-FI is now working. Long story short, dropped box on carpeted floor, and it started working.  Noticed the PDI connector where IRV cable was plugged into seemed to move on WI-FI box. Apparently the PDI connector is loose connection on WI-FI box, but seems to now be working, getting signal to IPad now. Hopefully will continue to work.      Thanks much for your responses, appreciate the help.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.