Skip to main content

I am replacing the front coupler on a Lionel Legacy SD40  item 

6-84260

I received the parts from Lionel but there was no documentation or exploded view that showed the proper repair/replacement.  I did find the parts diagram on Lionels Website but it does not show the installation - there is a small bracket that sits on two pegs and then the coupler is fitted on the bracket - there is a spring that fits in the small bracket - but i am not sure how to set it on the bracket - so i was wondering if there was a exploded view of the front coupler that clearly shows how the small bracket and spring go together. I looked on You Tube & Google and the Lionel website with no luck - any help would be greatly appreciated - thanks in advance

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I also have the 84260 very cool loco, the bell placement is one of my favorite parts.

The electrocoupler is held to the pilot by the screw coming up from the bottom. Remove and replace all the parts in the same order and tighten screw. The spring is there to keep the coupler centered. The wires are tucked into a channel in the frame using 4 small screws and 2 small pcs of thin flat metal, these will need to be removed and reinstalled also. Make sure you leave enough slack in the wiring for the pilot and coupler to swing from side to side. In order to connect the electrocoupler plug to the RCDC board you will have to remove body and pull wire connector through the hole that the existing electrocoupler wires are ran through.

What is the reason for replacement if I may ask? 

Last edited by SuperChiefer84

thanks - will put it back together - the reason for replacement is that I took it out of the box(bought new) and the coupler was loose and on the btm of the box, there were two wires sticking out - the crew that holds it in place and the washer were in the coupling - when i reconnected the wires it did not work - i also tries contacting Lionel for service and never got a reply or return call after four or five tries.  i will try to reinstall the new coupler and see if it works - PS i think the Unit was under warranty but did not get any help from Lionel.  thanks for your help

ted

Thanks John - that confirms what i need to do - have reassembled the coupler and it works fine!!   looking  through the trend from Dave Olson - is seems like others had the couplers loose with the screws in the box - mine had the wires broken as well - but all is well now -  thanks 

thanks - but i find it hard to believe that the wires were broken as well - i guess if the coupler could have come loose and dangled in place - but not sure how it could have found itself at the btm of the box, inside of the packing material and the wires broken.  very strange,  i think someone didn't tighten the coupler and broke it off when putting it in the box - but all is good now - i have a tight coupler and it responds to the Legacy commands properly.  still upset  with Lionel not responding to my emails - i even said I would have paid for the service and asked them what i could do - absolutely no response!  i guess they are too busy doing videos.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.