Skip to main content

This bridge is about 1/2 scale of the real Rockville bridge, with some modification, like the parapet wall along the top.

I added extra height to fit in a particular space, but it started out as one of my 2 track Rockville's, that I sliced down, and added height, and length.    It is 79' long.

I haven't yet added my special process to the block joints.    That will be my last step.    This bridge is actually only detailed on the side facing us, the backside is going up against a rear backdrop 5-6 feet from the viewer, therefore I did not have to do that side.

I will post another photo after the the joints are done, probably tomorrow.

David's 6 Arch 1

David's 6 Arch 2

David's 6 Arch 3

David's 6 Arch 5

David's 6 Arch 6

David's 6 Arch 7

David's 6 Arch 8

Attachments

Images (4)
  • David's 6 Arch 1
  • David's 6 Arch 2
  • David's 6 Arch 3
  • David's 6 Arch 5
Last edited by Tim W
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Well done. Looking forward to seeing more photos.

I helped my son make a three arch section out of wood framing and foam board when he was in seventh grade. I'd love to do a version I could incorporate into an out door layout I'd like to build. It would have to span about ten feet across part of the pond in our yard.

Don

thanks guys, the bridge shown above will actually be a companion bridge to the other one I posted sometime back, which will be in the foreground, here is another photo of it, it is 8' long, and double tracked.   We are trying to invite some forced perspective, by having the grayish bridge in the rear 5'-6' back, and up against the backdrop, it having slightly smaller block, arches, and piers, with the more massive bridge in the front.   Once they are both installed, I will take some more photos.   

Long view

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Long view: David's front bridge

Yes Charlie, it is made of solid pink building foam, it has a cement board sub deck, with a 1/2" maple top deck, for track mounting.    I will be mounting a balsa wood cap to the parapet wall that runs along the top.   I work the foam by hand, after I cut it into the basic shape.   I still hand paint them, as I have no good room to use my airbrush at present.    Here is a photo of the rear unfinished side. 

David's 6 Arch 4

Attachments

Images (1)
  • David's 6 Arch 4
Last edited by Tim W
Originally Posted by pennsynut:

What at a work of art!  Colors are fantastic.  Curious of the color variations you used for the stone work?  Just the right variety. 

It's funny you ask, this bridge started out more colorful than how it ended up.   If you notice my other post (spandrel) that is similar to this post, but focuses on the spandrel of the 2 track bridge, you will see a color distinction.    Per David's request, I had to lose some of the more colorful stones, such as the greens, and the blues, and the reds, and a pink one and purple here and there.   He didn't care for those stones, so I repainted them with grays and browns, per his liking.

Another member however was absolutely enthralled with the original colors that I had chosen, that show up more in the spandrel photo.     He would like a bridge for a very colorful presidential set that he has, that will have it's very own display bridge, inside a glass cabinet that he will custom make.

A photo of the spandrel, before I changed it:

spandrel

Attachments

Images (1)
  • spandrel
Last edited by Tim W
Originally Posted by Lehigh74:

That looks incredibly realistic.  Sculpting the stone work must have taken a very long time.  Whenever I’ve tried doing something like that with rigid foam, it ended up looking more like something you would see on Mr. Roger’s Neighborhood land of make believe.

That's funny!!!!    Not everything that I've made, am I particularly proud of either, but I'm making strides.    I love the challenge, and trying and developing new techniques.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.