Skip to main content

Hi: I want to repaint some passenger cars and I am not too sure of the color. According to Greenbergs latest book it looks like they are calling this car Peacock blue but it sure looks green to me. I am wondering if anybody can confirm Peacock blue is correct. Also if anybody knows where I can order this color from I would like to get it a rattle can. Maybe if someone knows does Krylon or Rustoleium  sell a color that is close?

Thanks Jim

Attachments

Images (2)
  • IMG_3895
  • IMG_3896
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

@RoyBoy posted:

That color is called peacock. Maybe just calling it peacock and omitting the word "blue" after that would be less confusing.

Some of the major parts dealers will have that color. Nothing like it at your local hardware store, so maybe don't waste your time there.

Unfortunately, true. I tried to go the "local" route and tried (2) different paints for a #10; one was too blue and the other is...well, I'm not sure, but it's not "peacock"!  

Finished 10 #2

Mark in Oregon

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Finished 10 #2

These came in an assortment of colors.  Here is a useful link with pictures.

https://train99.com/prewar-0-g...nger-cars-1926-1940/

I was given one of these in bad shape.  I found that it had very little value so I decided to try restoring it.  I found that Krylon rattle cans were a close color match.  I made decals rather than pad printing (rubber stamp) the name and numbers.  I think it came out pretty good for a first try.

Attachments

Images (2)
  • 596FE8D5-C01A-4D8E-BB9B-012E6BD86784
  • 30618593-B43D-4376-B597-5D1434B1DFF8
@Danr posted:

I was given one of these in bad shape.  I found that it had very little value so I decided to try restoring it.  I found that Krylon rattle cans were a close color match.  I made decals rather than pad printing (rubber stamp) the name and numbers.  I think it came out pretty good for a first try.

Nice job. I even like the crooked Pullman decal it mimics the originals very well!

@Danr posted:

Beautiful job! Very nicely done.

@Danr the car turned out great! Which Krylon colors did you use, they look really close based upon your pics. It was well worth the effort.

I still had the cans in the garage.  A little more of a mix than I remember.  Only the Krylon has a name.  All came from Lowes but I sure other hardware stores have them as well.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 850D560F-6407-4D35-AE01-148C54D0497C

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.