Skip to main content

how can I make an adjustment to the mechanism that raises the launcher to fire.  When the clip is presses to launch, the "spring" or whatever actuated, does not go up far enough to fire!   Foe example, if the launcher needs to be raised 2", let's guess to actuate the firing pin, my launcher only raise about 1".   Please help

pkielty

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Here is the part number: 600-6650-047 Diaphragm/ rubber (pw part #6650-47).

I checked a couple of parts dealers, they don't have any.

Update:  According to Lionel, NL Trainworks has them.

If you take yours apart, you may be able to revive the one that is there by a careful cleaning with warm soapy water.
Sometimes if you work the mechanism a bunch of times it gets better.
(I've done both)

Note: above I mentioned that air has to get in and out. I think there is a paper gasket between the rubber diaphragm and the plastic launch mechanism body. Try not to damage it.  It may be made from blotter paper.

Last edited by C W Burfle

Hey newbie, for this older stuff you may want to post on the tinplate forum.  The postwar experts mostly lurk there.  Too much clutter on this one.  How did you get on here anyway?  This place has standards you know.  Don't ask me what they are, but it sounds good anyway.

I knew it was you.  (Giving him the brother in law treatment.)

And no, I can't fix it for you.  Cheers.

Last edited by William 1
Pat K posted:

But I don't see the diaphragm in the parts list, and it seems like it is concealed in the base?  Yes or no

The tip of the launch boom rests on a on a large round  "counterweight" portion of the swinging base. The rocket points at the counterweight. The diaphragm is inside the round portion.

It's a great mechanical assembly as far as performance goes. Mine original likely has millions on cycles on it, lol.

On the original blue and red one, the trigger mech got too sensitive so I added a spring over the trigger linkage that also urges it into action just a tad. But that little linkage part is what I consider the weakest link, except for maybe an aged diaphragm. I see some differences in old to new parts, but they seem compatible. It's a just a long teeter totter with the diaphragm at one end. The other end pushes the boom up.

IMG_20170111_113537IMG_20170111_113911IMG_20170111_113625

The launch is started via a platic button  under the rear of the boom (a black button on the blue/red car below is easy to see) The metal lever on the side lowers the boom and resets the boom lock in the lowered position. That position allows the launch spring to be set and a rachet mech locks it into position too. Just ahead of that lever is the trigger link. When raising, the linkage pulls out of its hole until it finally engages the body by its staggered hook end as it reaches full upright, and the final bit of movement the linkage pulls down on the trigger arm in the boom. My ramps on the teeth of the trigger lock are a bit rounded from use. The added spring keeps the pawl seated well. Just the drag on the link from sliding and rubbing in the hole would trigger it. A bump on the track or vibrations from a long run would too.

I also throw short cotter pins into the stake holes as stops. It is to prevent the assembly from twisting, creeping slowly out of being parallel with the car and transforming into a 6 inch wide beamh of destruction. With extra weight to cause the swing, this guy likes destroying the layout any way he can.

IMG_20170111_113645

Attachments

Images (5)
  • IMG_20170111_113537
  • IMG_20170111_113911
  • IMG_20170111_113645
  • IMG_20170111_113625
  • h
Last edited by Adriatic

Shhh, be vewy quiet CW;

William is hunting in-laws...

It remains to be seen if Pat will retaliate with a visit to Williams to test the launcher repair on his layouts buildings, populace, and rolling stock. Lol.

An automotive rubber conditioner cream called Zymol might help too. I've always dused talcum powder on mine every few years...It is due for some more.

Yes Pat,

It is in the forward portion. The first two pictures I posted show the metal lifting lever (silver & black), diaphragm (black circle in the center) and the keeper ring for the diaphram (crown ring is what I think they are called??)

Waiting till you have parts to check the size of the new keeper. It's likely easiest to snip the old one with side cutters for fast removal. I'm a bit foggy on that memory though. I haven't seen one get repaired in near forty years, but I recall Gramps cutting one to remove it all.

By the way, I can see the paper gasket in Adriatic's picture of the postwar (blue) launcher. If that unit hasn't been taken apart and reassembled, then I guess it's between the retaining ring and the diaphragm.

Another tip: to reassemble, I've always used an appropriately sized deep socket to press the retaining ring back in place.

Plus, it occurs to me that maybe your launcher isn't breathing properly. You could try loosening the ring just a tiny bit.

When they are too loose, the launcher will rise too quickly.

Last edited by C W Burfle

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.