Skip to main content

I am trying to locate the item # for the rivets used to fasten part #671-32 apron (the rear steps under the cab).  Every diagram I have found displays the apron already attached to the frame but does not list the rivet used to attach.  Are these available or is there a better way to reattach?

Thanks,

Greg

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

This is a simple easy repair. The rivet part you are mentioning in your quest is actually the cast part of the locomotive itself. You will not find a specific rivet. Despite the above mention, that chassis will drill and tap like butter. Use a 3/32 drill bit, and drill and tap for 4-40 screw. Filing down the existing rivet ( or what’s left of it) will reveal a perfect round spot to center punch for drilling. Ace hardware keeps a really nice selection of 4-40 screws, taps and drill bits ......simple repair....Pat293F0242-7917-4A4D-A03F-2434687449F7 

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 293F0242-7917-4A4D-A03F-2434687449F7

It is my understanding that they are not rivets, but a rivet like post cast into the frame. The apron is then put in place and the ends of the cast post are clenched like a rivet.

I have had success in very carefully prying on the existing apron to carefully unclench the "rivets" allowing a new apron to be positioned and using my hobby horse tooling to clench the "rivets" to the new apron. However, due to the makeup of the frame casting, it is only luck that I have had success with this every time I have done this.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.