Skip to main content

Hi all,
I've been working on a new layout. I am using Lionel 072 switches. All of my postwar engines navigate them just fine except my 736. The front pilot derails every time it crosses a switch in the curved position. I've tried everything, but came seem to figure it out. I even purchased a NOS pilot and tried that with no success. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
John
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
See if the engine runs thru the switch without the pilot, if this works see if the pilot is catching on a certain part of the switch, you may need to change out the switch or you may need to file down the pilot a little bit where its catching on the switch. Hope this helps. Just my 2 cents worth.

I would put a piece of electrical tape on the edge of the pilot, where it touches. Mark
quote:
The front pilot derails every time it crosses a switch in the curved position. I've tried everything, but came seem to figure it out.

Does your engine derail as it leaves the switch or midway as its crossing the switch and in which direction is the engine traveling over the switch?
Makes a difference..
Its no secret Lionel O-72 switches are problematic and two wheel front pilots are the most affected.
Joe
Gentlemen,
You are not going to like this but, I will tell you I got rid of every new Lionel 072 switch I owned, I use the older 072 Lionel switches including some very old 072's from my fathers original Tin Plate 263E with my FasTrack, and it runs like glass. What prompted this was the Weaver Masonic Engine, the front trucks would not run thru any of the curved sections of the new Lionels 072 switches, it derailed every single time. I just got rid of the switches and acquired two more old sets, there is something different about the new 072 Lionel switches, I did not bother to do any engineering investigation to see
what the problem really was, did not have time to re-engineer brand new switches, nor should you have too. Running back to back switches in many places as I do on my layouts, the switches must work correctly for every engine and every piece of rolling stock. I recommend runners stay away from the new 072 Lionel switches, now the new K-Line 072 are a completely different story, if you are going to go with the newer switches make it K-Line, or Ross.
PCRR/Dave

Notice the double set of 072 switches in front of the Pa Silver passenger car with the black roof,
the switch under the complete silver car is a lot older than I am and it works perfect everytime, it does take some power however. Every engine and every piece of roling stock runs thru my old 072
Lionel switches, can't say the same for the new ones.
quote:
If you are using tube rail and cannot find the old Lionel O-72, I would urge you to try the new Ross switches. I am very pleased with mine. Looks better as well.
Al

Could be because I modeled my layout somewhere between toy train and scale, I love the nostalgic look of tinplate track & PW switches, especially when the bright red & green lights are on all over the layout.
For me, nothing looks worse then a prewar tinplate train running on Atlas or Lionel FasTrack.
Joe
quote:
It derails midway thru. It happens when say entering a switch from the mainline and transitioning to the siding.

If its just one engine, does it derail on more then one switch?
I have lots of O-72 switches on my layout. Just about every one needed unique tinkering as they had a unique way to derail engines in different ways. Smile
For me the biggest problem was derailing as two wheel pilots leave the switch heading out towards the motor end.
Joe
OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.