Skip to main content

I acquired a 736 just a week ago in non-working condition. I did a complete overhaul and checked everything over but was still getting a short. Today I finally narrowed it down to the smoke unit. The element seems to be shorting against the tube where air comes into the unit. My question is, what can I use to insulate the area that WON'T melt while the smoke unit is in use?

Attachments

Images (1)
  • FullSizeRender 15
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I'd replace the heater assembly. There were two style smoke units, you need a #671-225 element, which runs about $8.
The mica plate is almost the same diameter as the cap, so they don't really go up inside the cap. The plate should just fit into the smoke pot, and is held down by the cap.
IMHO, the 18 ohm resistance of modern reproduction smoke elements is a bit high. Not sure how well they will smoke.
What has other people's experience with them been?

C W Burfle posted:

I'd replace the heater assembly. There were two style smoke units, you need a #671-225 element, which runs about $8.
The mica plate is almost the same diameter as the cap, so they don't really go up inside the cap. The plate should just fit into the smoke pot, and is held down by the cap.
IMHO, the 18 ohm resistance of modern reproduction smoke elements is a bit high. Not sure how well they will smoke.

I have replaced several with new reproductions with great results.

I've rebuilt many post war smoke units using both original and reproduction elements and have NEVER cut it down. They should wedge into the pot to maintain contact with the batting. Once in place inside the pot and the copper grounding tab is through the slot and bent over the lid it will stay in position. I recommend changing the element. Just my $.02.

Mike

Last edited by ezmike
C W Burfle posted:

I just checked my parts bin and actually have a new (reproduction) 671-225 element so I'll install it later tonight and report back with the results!

Well, don't trim the mica base, or force it into the cap!

Here is how I assemble smoke units.
I thread the wire through it's hole in the lid, and slide the ground strap through it's slot in the lid.
Slide things together until the mica base is touching the edges of the cap.
Bend over the ground strap.
Insert the cap into the smoke pot, leading with the ground strap.

I've done them this way for years, and have rebuilt many Postwar smoke units. Still, I am certain that other folks have their own techniques.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.