Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

As Jim said, the 736's are usually decent smokers. I use JT's Mega Steam in mine and it smokes great. I also replaced the old wicking with some fiberglass insulation (the pink stuff used for insulating houses) and it seems to be working fine. If you want a fan unit, I'm sure it can be done but I wouldn't know what to do for that install.
You can also improve the smoke output by removing a winding from the heater element and resoldering the connection. The heater wire is a resistance wire called nichrome and shortening the wire reduces the resistance and increases the current flow, thus the unit will run much hotter and produce more smoke. This is a standard Lionel recommended way to increase smoke output and is listed in their repair manual.

I would recommend checking the wicking material before shortening the wire because even a very hot element will not produce smoke if sufficient smoke fluid is not getting to the element. The 736 uses a pellet type smoke unit, but the material used to prevent the melted pellet from plugging up the unit will still act as a wicking material for liquid smoke.

Earl
Actually I have found that using more smoke fluid to completely wet the wicking material produces more smoke. It works better to put fresh wicking material in the reservoir because the old charred material is not a very good wick. You don't want so much fluid to fill the reservoir, but that is highly unlikely. Letting the unit sit for a short time after filling will allow more smoke fluid to go down into the wicking material and away from the heater element. If you want to use the engine right away and it doesn't start smoking after a minute or so, just put the engine in neutral and raise the power a little until you see smoke in the stack. Then you are good to go.

Earl
quote:
Originally posted by anzani racer:
i thought the 736 used hard pellets.can i just drop liquid in mine?for 20 years i never used it (the smoke unit) or asked about dropping liquid in it...rob

Yes, you can. I've found the fluid works better in the pellet units and there is less chance of burning them up if they run dry.
quote:
Would an on/off circuit be worth the effort?

The original, pellet type smoke units generally are not negatively affected by a lack of smoke material. So I don't see the need for a switch.

From what I have seen, most postwar pellet type smoke unit problems are caused by either too much smoke material clogging things up, or people putting foreign objects in the stack, and physically breaking the element.

The early smoke units were wound differently for "027" and "0" gauge locos. I have seen these "027" smoke units burnt out due to excessive voltage. I'd burnt out a few myself on the bench.
I guess the early "O" gauge elements were somewhat fragile and prone to burn out too.
These early units are easily identified because they do not have the little white ceramic form visible inside the smoke chamber. Also, the cover fits over the cast smoke pot, as opposed to fitting inside the smoke pot. (The pot casting are different too)
Thanks CW. I was going to go with the more modern type smoker rehab.

After watching Rob's, the older nichrome wire type might just be fine. From reading this thread the fluid will work just as well as pills for the nichrome type smoker?

When I was a child we had a 2-6-4 Lionel loco. It seemed to need a new smoke element or other related repair as the smoke was out of commision more often than not. Not sure why that was.
quote:
Originally posted by EIS:
Actually I have found that using more smoke fluid to completely wet the wicking material produces more smoke. It works better to put fresh wicking material in the reservoir because the old charred material is not a very good wick. You don't want so much fluid to fill the reservoir, but that is highly unlikely. Letting the unit sit for a short time after filling will allow more smoke fluid to go down into the wicking material and away from the heater element. If you want to use the engine right away and it doesn't start smoking after a minute or so, just put the engine in neutral and raise the power a little until you see smoke in the stack. Then you are good to go.

Earl

I followed your suggestion and put fluid in and let it soak over night then added some this AM, did not seem to help. I then put it in neutral and turned up the power, added more fluid and after running for about twenty minutes or so it started to smoke more. I will keep the wick wet and see what happens.
I will also try Mega steam or Lionel Premium smoke fluid and see if that makes a difference.
Thanks

Dave
OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.