Skip to main content

My apologies if this topic has been addressed, I searched but could not find it: the Lionel Coin Sorter 7407 has a jack for an external power supply, but the instruction manual makes no reference to one, and I could not find a listing for one in the  Lionel.com website. Can anyone tell me if one exists for it? Thanks.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Joe,

You won't find it on either the Lionel or Lionel Parts websites because it's not a Lionel product. Lionel never made or sold these, another company did.

It was marketed by a company called Emson, which licensed the Lionel trademark from Lionel itself. Emson is most widely known for selling its stuff via TV commercials and infomercials, and in stores like Bed Bath and Beyond. Packaging is almost always marked with "As Seen on TV", and the box for the coin sorter is.

Now, here's the problem: These are very inexpensive products and don't appear to have full service support. Although they did come with a warranty it appears only to have offered full replacement if the buyer received a bad one, so there is no source for individual parts.

That means that someone's going to need to open one of them up and do some reverse engineering to determine what voltage and current the external power supply should be.

Probably not what you wanted to hear, but it's still doable.

Mike

Joe,

Typical drain on C cell batteries is in the range of 100 milliAmps.  Your 4.5V 700mA power supply should have more than enough power to work if connected with the correct polarity.

I'd suggest verifying the polarity of the power supply and the coin sorter.  Polarity on low voltage power supply connectors and jacks is not universal  In other words, some are center positive and outer negative and others are the opposite.

Last edited by SteveH

SteveH, batteries connected in SERIES add the voltage of each battery to the load, but the current capability remains the same. Three C-cells in series will deliver 4.5 volts, but can still only deliver about 100 milliamperes.

You could connect a power supply that can deliver 1,000 amps, but the coin sorter will only draw what it needs to run. So if the 700 milliamp unit didn’t work, try one a lot bigger. You have to get the voltage right, but the amp capability of the power supply is not critical, as long as it is big enough.

Last edited by Rich Melvin

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.