Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Unless on a regular basis you are locking down the e unit to one direction why bother with the repair?  As long as it cycles you are good to go.

It’s not going to cycle if the arm has fallen off....the arm completes the circuit to energize the coil...eventually the drum will vibrate out of sync from running, and she’ll go into neutral and stall.....if the OP isn’t comfortable making the repair, he’ll need to take it in, or send it somewhere for repairs...

Grady, what state do you live in so we can send you or the loco the shortest distance....

Pat

@harmonyards posted:

It’s not going to cycle if the arm has fallen off....the arm completes the circuit to energize the coil...eventually the drum will vibrate out of sync from running, and she’ll go into neutral and stall.....if the OP isn’t comfortable making the repair, he’ll need to take it in, or send it somewhere for repairs...

Grady, what state do you live in so we can send you or the loco the shortest distance....

Pat

He said the arm was intact.

Here is an update.  The Arm is intact, it’s just been broken off so it’s short enough it doesn’t stick out beyond the Shell.

I live in Asheville, NC

757-635-3687

Well darn it, ....close but no cigar, I’m in eastern NC .....if you wanna make the hump, we can certainly put a lever on it....but to be sure there’s somebody between us that can help you...that is if you wanna be bothered with the lever, ....otherwise, as others have mentioned, you could just bridge it and be done...

Pat

The e unit lever just grounds the e unit coil.  It the lever is broken off, just run a short wire from the side terminal the lever use to touch to the screw that mounts the e unit. The e unit will operate normally, you just will not be able to lock it in forward or reverse.

If you go this route, I think a simple SPST switch mounted somewhere accessible and tapped into the jumper wire would serve the same purpose the lever does as far as giving control of locking in a direction or not.  You're simply switching the power that feeds the E-Unit coil to turn it on and off.

I was unaware that 2037’s were everyday locomotives, ....I don’t see one everyday.....yes, it’d be nice to have it repaired properly, and yes, it does deserve to be fixed like factory, however, if the OP wants to run it, it certainly will go as is...as long as it’ll cycle,....if he just wants to run it, does he need to park it till the lever gets fixed?....heck no....if it’ll run ...enjoy it till a repair can be made.......

Pat

@BRIAN WHITE posted:

If it works I would leave it . Improves the look not having it sticking out of the boiler shell

I would straighten the lever and put a black plastic or rubber "extension" on it that could be manipulated through the slot with a craft stick or stirrer stick to keep the functionality if desired and make it look better w/o the silver lever protruding.

@harmonyards posted:

I was unaware that 2037’s were everyday locomotives, ....I don’t see one everyday.....yes, it’d be nice to have it repaired properly, and yes, it does deserve to be fixed like factory, however, if the OP wants to run it, it certainly will go as is...as long as it’ll cycle,....if he just wants to run it, does he need to park it till the lever gets fixed?....heck no....if it’ll run ...enjoy it till a repair can be made.......

Pat

Yes,  2037s are everyday locos. And the list gets bigger when we are talking about a 746. Apples to pineapples comparison.  But like I said just my opinion. I have 2 746s and and uncountable number of little Prairie Locos and such in boxes. I would not let my 746 go like that. But again, just my opinion. You get the idea

@MattR posted:

Yes,  2037s are everyday locos. And the list gets bigger when we are talking about a 746. Apples to pineapples comparison.  But like I said just my opinion. I have 2 746s and and uncountable number of little Prairie Locos and such in boxes. I would not let my 746 go like that. But again, just my opinion. You get the idea

I’m just givin ya a hard time buddy.....I agree with you, a 746 is a sweet piece...I was pretty stoked when I got mine.....it should be fixed as factory....

Pat

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.