Skip to main content

riki, looking at the photos you’ve posted, and the parts list you got from Jeff, some of the parts you are looking for, you’re not going to be able to add them .......looks like Jeff sent you eccentric assemblies 763-216 & 217.....these are not the “fancier” 700E type eccentric assembly that has the extra arms to add things like the valve stems, the lubricator lever, and the combination lever.....your rotating assembly as I see in the pics, has more in common with the 785 Hudson ( 6-18002 ) then a 700E......unless you’re trying to go back and replace all of the eccentric parts, you can’t add the others...they all link off that specific 700E type eccentric assembly............Pat

Pat. Thanks

Buying the other rods to have. 700e. 216 ..217 Plus lubricator.

The pick ups are hard to find.. Might have to mod a diesel pick up.

The side rods were a pain. Had to shim.

I think the blue on threads. Is to turn the screw in a little. To set clearance.

I took it off cause I didn't want to cross thread ..it felt tight going in. 

This thing is going to be a crawler.  Using 3/4 stack. Motor . just ran it holding it 

The 700e also has more hand rails and piping. More trim in general.

I'm a little late to the Hudson party, but have a couple of comments. Where to start.....

To answer Bmoran's question, The 2 center wheel eccentric crank screws look the same in the above picture, but not. The 610-8005-527 screw is american SAE thread. It is used on drive wheels that are pressed on the axle. The 610-8045-527 version is metric thread and used on wheels that screw on the axle, starting with the Commodore Vanderbilt 4-6-4.

Picture #1 is pick-up assemblies and rollers. Since you have already mounted FM pick-ups, all that is needed is to change to rollers. They will fit the diesel pick-ups.

#2 is the correct smoke lever assembly.

Picture #3 and 4 are the valve stem and oilier linkage. These parts will not mount on the 763 valve gear supplied by Jeff. The valve stem is not even visible behind the valve guide casting. You could leave them off and no one would notice.

The power reverse cylinder is mounted with a #3-48 x 5/16 phillips oval head screw.

Below are some close up pictures of the valve gear that I added to a stock 783 some years ago. I added as many 700E parts that was possible while keeping the cast wheels for magne-traction.  I took out the electronic whistle board and added a 773 sound card.

Attachments

Images (10)
  • Picture1: Rollers and pic-ups
  • picture 2: smoke lever
  • picture 3: valve stems
  • picture 4: luberacater linkage
  • IMG_0287
  • IMG_0291
  • IMG_0286
  • IMG_0289
  • IMG_0293
  • IMG_0292

Armatures run hot. A postwar armature is probably rated at 60 degrees C, or about 140 degrees F.  A modern armature could be rated even higher.  You know you are in trouble when either smoke comes out of the motor or the solder on the armature coil attachments melts and is flung out.   If it is not so hot that you can hold your finger on it, it should be okay. 

Last edited by David Johnston

Make sure your mechanism turns free....and nothing is binding. Remove the motor mount bolt and slide the motor back far enough so you can rotate the worm shaft with your finger tips. Should spin smooth through a full rotation. Any spots that bind are going to result in poor performance and overheating. Also check the motor spins nice and smooth by hand. Infact, that locomotive when all assembled, should be back driveable....in other words, you should be able to rotate the wheels by hand with motor and all rods installed....it might be that all the parts are so new it just needs to break in....if all checks ok, you could fashion a way to suspend the drivers off the rails and allow it run for a while to facilitate a break in period use jumper wires to run to the hot & common.....in your video, it doesn’t sound abnormal for a coffee grinder motor....😉.........Pat

No, I'm not saying the rod would stretch, but buckle from the piston rod jamming in the cylinder hole, from it not being drilled deep enough. But if it ran around for a while before it broke, that's not it.  If you can't tighten the side rod screw down completely without the rod binding, it's not the right screw. I wouldn't file the rod down any. What transformer are you using?

I vote for the side rod screw backing out and chopping that rod.  I bet you can find munch marks near the break.

The forward crankpin is always problematic - our five foot gauge doesn't help clearances.  Note that the otherwise nice MTH Hudson has off-center crosshead guides and piston rod holes.

Yes, file the rod and bolt head.  Make sure that it has clearance with driver shoved as far to the side as it will go.

Thanks guys

It looks cast. I just received the cast wheels from Jeff.

The end wheels have a stud.. Where as the 700 are screwed into the wheel

I like the cast wheels. I hear they are a pain to deal with.

So but. . Will go that route.

I threaded a washer on the screw. That let me tighten the screw.  The washer fits behind side rod. Was a little trying but I got.   Ran fine .except for Armature..

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.