Skip to main content

Riki, If you try to use other parts from other engines you really need to be up on your game. You are opening Pandora's box. If you try to use the 773 wheels, you are going to have to change the axles, which means you are going to have to change the axle bearings in the frame. Then you are going to have to change the worm wheel on the geared axle. Then you are going to have to re-quarter the wheels on the axles. It would have to exact the first time, as you only get one, maybe two, attempts as the wheel will work loose on the axle and slip when the engine is under load. The quartering must be precision as the rod bushings leave no room for any slop.  This is probably why Lionel sells the frame with the wheels already installed by a machine.  

Ricki,

Sorry that I'm late to the party, but I did come across a problem that I think everyone has missed. Your trying to mixed rods and valve gears from different eras, especially the eccentric crank.  Lionel faced essentially the same problem (rod clearances) when recreating the 700E in 1990. Their solution was to create an offset of the arm on the eccentric crank. Jeff Kane bought a number of these eccentric cranks and sold them as 700E parts, when in fact they were not backwards compatible. I know because I created the comparison years ago. See below. 700E-Eccentric-Comparison

This offset allowed Lionel to create the side view illusion that the rod configuration was the same as the original 700E, however one only needed to look from the top down to see that the rods were not running parallel.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 700E-Eccentric-Comparison
Last edited by DennisWaldron

I believe the notes in red answer most of your questions. The house samples speak for themselves, as we are discussing original eccentric cranks as opposed to the LTI version. House Sample One has the sleeve installed while House Sample Two does not. The prewar and postwar Hudson's, 700E, 763E, 773 (1950) and 773 (1964-66) used the same eccentric crank. The only difference between the eccentric cranks manufactured by ionel during the 1936 to 1966 period was the number of bolt nubs at the hub of the eccentric crank. The 783, 784 and 785 used the same eccentric crank as the prewar/postwar version, although they were cast in a new mold.

Why would I alert Jeff Kane?

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.