Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hi ChicagoRR,

Welcome aboard the OGR Forum!

Here's a starter idea that would not take a long time to build. I assume it's a room.

Around the wall 30" wide table. Two ovals of O72 and O84. Deck height 42".

Reasonable people space in the center.

A lift up or lift out section near the entrance.

If your daughter is young a step stool until she grows to reach. Plenty of space for scenery and play items. Let her put her things on the layout and help add scenic items.

Cross-over switches- a passing siding and/or siding spurs can be added later if the interest grows.

Support the tables with pylons on the wall studs eliminates legs. Power and control can be mounted on drawer sliders to go underneath the deck.

The requirement for large diameter curves in room this size is the limiting factor. One side could be more curves to add interest.

Attachments

Images (4)
  • 8x12_Concept_1_Room_View
  • 8x12_Concept_1_Tables
  • 8x12_Concept_2_Ovals
  • 8x12_Concept_2_Ovals_Room_View

I would consider 060 fastback curves so you could fit more in this space, yards sidings, etc...  I have already designed a 9x12 that could be shrunk to your space.  I can post it if you are looking for some inspiration.  Also, what kind of trains are you running?  Will 072 be required?  Just some questions to get started.

I've got an Anheuser Busch train from MTH a few years ago w protosound 2 (I know not ideal for a young child but hey -  it's all I've got for now). I love the idea of two ovals, but would love to have some switches in there to actually operate a bit myself. To be honest, no chance I'll be able to set up a permanent table so my thought was actually to do this more in the fall and around the holidays. Getting a tree in the middle will score big points with the wife. I had thought of maybe a layout just a foot off the ground, built up on legs, in a modular system so I could store in the garage or closet during the "off season". 

And no requirements as of yet for 0-72. But have heard when starting from scratch wouldn't be a bad idea to go bigger if the space allows. Could always make the 0-72 outer loop the main and cooler action on the inside. On a side note, my daughter loved the trestle set w my old Lionel tubular track, so maybe a grade up and down would be possible. Not sure how easy that is to accomplish w Fastrack as I haven't purchased those yet. 

Much appreciated to you guys for the advice and help so far. Very generous of you to share your expertise. 

I am away from my laptop (and therefore SCARM ), but later I will work on and post some ideas.  I own some fastrack myself and it will be great for your set up.  Beware that it is very loud on bare plywood, so a foam or homasote surface may be a good idea for your table.

And trust me man, there are plenty of folks here that share the wifey/train struggle !

chicagorr posted:

I've got an Anheuser Busch train from MTH a few years ago w protosound 2 (I know not ideal for a young child but hey -  it's all I've got for now). I love the idea of two ovals, but would love to have some switches in there to actually operate a bit myself. To be honest, no chance I'll be able to set up a permanent table so my thought was actually to do this more in the fall and around the holidays. Getting a tree in the middle will score big points with the wife. I had thought of maybe a layout just a foot off the ground, built up on legs, in a modular system so I could store in the garage or closet during the "off season". 

And no requirements as of yet for 0-72. But have heard when starting from scratch wouldn't be a bad idea to go bigger if the space allows. Could always make the 0-72 outer loop the main and cooler action on the inside. On a side note, my daughter loved the trestle set w my old Lionel tubular track, so maybe a grade up and down would be possible. Not sure how easy that is to accomplish w Fastrack as I haven't purchased those yet. 

Much appreciated to you guys for the advice and help so far. Very generous of you to share your expertise. 

Then, use the 84" x  36" space that I labeled "people space. That leaves 30" all around for people space. A tree base takes about 24" - 30" in the center.

The other option is to make an L-shape along two walls . Perhaps the tree could then sit in the corner. The rub with an L shape is that to get multiple tracks, small diameter curves must be used. They are ok for starting and seasonal.

Check out forum member Dougie Fresh layout in the 10/11/16 post in this thread.

Welcome to the forum.

Search for posts from Ken-OScale. He's posted a bunch of plans on here. Several of them will probably work for you. Fastrack is fine but be prepared for noise if you don't put cork or foam under the road bed.

It can be a little tricky when it comes to the connections providing good continuity. Better plan on several power drops.

Sounds like a fun project. Hope you get more than just a Christmas layout out of this.

Thanks all - I appreciate all of your advice.  I was aware of the sound issue with Fastrack - esp on a hardwood floor. I've got a few soundproofing ideas (foam, rubber, and cork padding - depending on what works best in my room). But I was unaware of the connection issues - I'll definitely keep that in mind if I find dead spots on the layout.

I'll definitely review some prior layouts here. Still learning how to navigate the forums efficiently.

MaineGunner posted:

Jack,

i just joined and would be interested in the track list for this layout. Would it accommodate a trestle and bridge?

thanks,

randy

I am sure it would, but it depends how big you want the trestle.  I will find that plan on my laptop and send the list to you later today.  I do have to make some adjustments but that will not take long.

Add Reply

The Track Planning and Layout Design Forum is sponsored by

AN OGR FORUM CHARTER SPONSOR

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.