Skip to main content

I built this 4 x 8 layout from Mike Donahue’s suggestion in this topic.

https://ogrforum.ogaugerr.com/...plete-for-now?page=1

43CE7CA3-23B6-4D94-8CF6-63FEF12F0A80

This has been fun for my grandson and me over the last year, but we’re ready to expand. Would like to add another 4 x 8 section to the front with a 2 x 6 pit in the middle of the new 4 x 8. Maybe a yard or turntable on the extension. I figure since we got the original idea here, you guys might have some suggestions. Appreciate any help you can provide. Patrick

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 43CE7CA3-23B6-4D94-8CF6-63FEF12F0A80
Last edited by SanDogDewey
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Patrick,

There are many reasons why the track joints are misaligned and do not connect.  Here are a few:

1.  Unequal lengths of parallel straight sections,
  2.  Mixing curves of different diameters,
  3.  Running straights on the diagonal. and
  4. Short straight gaps that cannot be filled by pre-cut sections.

I don't have the Fastrack library for RRT but I also have SCARM which includes all track libraries.  SCARM is free if you can work within the limit of total track sections.  I've reworked your plan in SCARM.

Patrick Jan V1

You can update your RRT plan from the diagram.

I've included a pdf which lisrs all the possible combinations of FasTrack pieces to fill gaps.  Note that all gaps are not fillable anf you might have to increase the gaps size to fill it.  The measuring tool is much needed for this.

Jan

Attachments

@Jan posted:

Patrick,

There are many reasons why the track joints are misaligned and do not connect.  Here are a few:

1.  Unequal lengths of parallel straight sections,
  2.  Mixing curves of different diameters,
  3.  Running straights on the diagonal. and
  4. Short straight gaps that cannot be filled by pre-cut sections.

I don't have the Fastrack library for RRT but I also have SCARM which includes all track libraries.  SCARM is free if you can work within the limit of total track sections.  I've reworked your plan in SCARM.

Patrick Jan V1

You can update your RRT plan from the diagram.

I've included a pdf which lisrs all the possible combinations of FasTrack pieces to fill gaps.  Note that all gaps are not fillable anf you might have to increase the gaps size to fill it.  The measuring tool is much needed for this.

Jan

Thank you Jan. I appreciate the FasTrack Formulas. I had found one online, but it wasn't nearly as detailed as the one your sent. I'm still not sure why RR-Track won't attach track to the turnout leg of the turnout. I'm still learning.

I'm finishing up the benchwork tonight and should have it installed yesterday. Now to find a good deal on some more FasTrack.

Looks like you are using some 060 turnouts as well as 036/031.  With Fastrack, the 060 and 072 turnouts include 1/3/8" "makeup" straight.  RRT requires the use of those to auto connect to the next track.  The makeup straight (road bed missing from one side) compensates for the design of the 060/072 switch.  This will create the need for adjustments in your design.  Use the PDF for Fastrack length combinations.  I have found that what does not line up in RRT sometimes has enough "give" with that the actual track will connect and not effect operation of your trains.

Larry

Last edited by L.J.
@L.J. posted:

Looks like you are using some 060 turnouts as well as 036/031.  With Fastrack, the 060 and 072 turnouts include 1/3/8" "makeup" straight.  RRT requires the use of those to auto connect to the next track.  The makeup straight (road bed missing from one side) compensates for the design of the 060/072 switch.  This will create the need for adjustments in your design.  Use the PDF for Fastrack length combinations.  I have found that what does not line up in RRT sometimes has enough "give" with that the actual track will connect and not effect operation of your trains.

Larry

Thank you Larry. I’ll try updating the RRT file later today. Hopefully with everything I ordered I can still make ends meet! I got all the track and structures up yesterday. They sure come up faster than they go down. Filled all the holes with spray foam and trimmed the excess. Got one roll of Realgrass down last night before calling it quits. Patrick

CD917085-60EF-4847-BA59-72E5C89FEC8C11FC4994-7ABC-48CA-9635-961423B8A922

Attachments

Images (2)
  • CD917085-60EF-4847-BA59-72E5C89FEC8C
  • 11FC4994-7ABC-48CA-9635-961423B8A922

1A7FDF01-6754-4B1F-A7E9-1348AB4014E2AD42CC4F-CBD8-476B-B4FD-971094080BD6Got all the track down and operating. I’ve got a couple turnouts where one engine pushes through the points, but still workable. Still got some roads to put down and parking lots to stripe. A little disappointed that the water kit I received only does a 6” pond 3mm deep. Will work on more landscaping over time. Looking at some backdrops for the wall as well.

Attachments

Images (2)
  • 1A7FDF01-6754-4B1F-A7E9-1348AB4014E2
  • AD42CC4F-CBD8-476B-B4FD-971094080BD6

Add Reply

The Track Planning and Layout Design Forum is sponsored by

AN OGR FORUM CHARTER SPONSOR

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.