Skip to main content

Greetings to all,

I hope everyone is safe and doing well.  I have a request that I hope I can be helped with. I need to obtain (4) "8022" number boards for my 1970 Lionel Santa AA alcos.  These alcos were made for Sears in 1970. The number boards are translucent red. If someone can help me with this, I would appreciate it immensely.

Thank you, be safe and God bless you all.

Dominick

Last edited by dominick oquendo
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The poster has been looking for these for a long time. The very first year of MPC (1970) Lionel issued the Blue 8022 Santa Fe Alco set (For Penny dept stores). It does have 8022 stamped on the number boards. The number 8252-10 are blank red lens. I believe this is the only Alco that had them. The only other engine to have numbers molded in the lens is the 1970 issue of the 8030 Illinois Central GP-9.

dominick oquendo posted:
I need to obtain (4) "8022" number boards for my 1970 Lionel Santa AA alcos.  These alcos were made for Sears in 1970.

As an early MPC guy, I can tell you that your odds of finding these are not great. To the best of my knowledge, an official part number for these was never published, nor do I believe they were ever available from the parts department. Adding to the problem is that the shells were available for years after they were produced, but they never had the proper number boards included. I've combed through/bought out a lot of old service stations, and I've never run across these anywhere.

Note that these locos were mainly sold through JCPenney in 1971 in sets as well as separate sale of a single A unit in a mailer box. The origin of the A-A pairs still isn't completely clear. Judging from the catalog number, it's possible these saw production in 1970, but that isn't totally clear, either.

Chuck Sartor posted:

The only other engine to have numbers molded in the lens is the 1970 issue of the 8030 Illinois Central GP-9.

Besides the 8022 and 8030, the initial runs of the 8020 Santa Fe Alco and 8031 Canadian National GP-7's had molded-in numbers in their number boards as well.

As for steam locos, the 8140 (made for Sears) and some 8141's had their numbers molded into their cab sides.

TRW

Here are a few pictures. Even the short run of Santa Fe 8022's have variations. Here is a pixs of one of my 8022 with filled in number boards. I would say this is the very first run of this engine and Lionel used left over unstamped postwar C&O 2024 body molds. Later in 1970 the opened the number board box to add separate number boards. A sample of open boards can be seen with the CN 8025 loco. the ones Dominick is looking for look the same except the number. Also shown is a replacement l;ens for the 8030 IC GP9 of 1970.IMG_0305IMG_0302IMG_0303

Attachments

Images (3)
  • IMG_0305
  • IMG_0302
  • IMG_0303

Question for Dominick, Does the shells you have, have the molded in MPC/LIONEL logo on the shell? My sample with the closed number boards does not have any markings at all!  Very unusual for Lionel. No BUILT BY LIONEL 3-57 stamped like postwar, No MPC logo stamped on the shell, along with no horizontal lines in the shell for the Santa Fe striping. It kinds leads to Lionel modified the Alco shell with adding the stripe for painting and adding the logo and opening the number board box for lens late in 1970.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.