Skip to main content

I have an 8206 Hudson that I got at a show many years ago and put it away and forgot it. I just put it on the Christmas tracks for the first time in many years. I do not have the instructions. Is this pellet or fluid smoke? I put fluid in it and it smoked a lot but then I got more of a burning smell.  I do notice the element looks very orange and hot. Is that ok?

The sound board doesn't function well but I can still run it except for that

Thank you

David

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Thank you so much for the input. I just joined OGR and already realize what a great resource it is.

I will pull the shell and find an 8141 smoke element for replacement.

Unfortunately, I probably fried the sound board. I pulled the shell off the tender and I assume all the "dust" below the board used to be foam.

This is my first MPC engine and I have learned a lesson the hard way.

David

@Trainfamily posted:

Thank you so much for the input. I just joined OGR and already realize what a great resource it is.

I will pull the shell and find an 8141 smoke element for replacement.

Unfortunately, I probably fried the sound board. I pulled the shell off the tender and I assume all the "dust" below the board used to be foam.

This is my first MPC engine and I have learned a lesson the hard way.

David

Fortunately, a fried sound board does not prevent the 8206 from running.

Rusty

I've fixed the smoke unit. It works well.

Now on to the ERR sound board. I may decide to do a replacement of the old board.

My question is what controls the  ERR real sounds board? I am using a ZW to run trains conventionally.  Will I need to incorporate the Lionel sound activation button to access the ERR capabilities.

I'm slowly and cautiously getting into this process.

Thanks again

David

If you are interested in keeping it original, I have a good operating circuit board for your 8206. It is 1972 electronics and has only a whistle and chuff sound. It would sound nothing like an upgrade quality. Drop a line if interested. If you upgrade to ERR, yes a sound button would be required to sound the bell.

Hey Chuck,

Do you still have the circuit board?  I just got one of these last night off eBay..

The smoke unit was bad..  I thought it was gonna catch fire..   The wifey made me put it outside until it was safe to bring back into the house.   (haha)
I did not try to power the sound board (yet) tho I did pull the tender shell off and see that it has come loose. (power where the double stick tape was)

It's also missing the scoop and the wire lead that comes back to the tender.. (I presume from the smoke unit up front)   The lead is still on the tender.  Is there a way to test the board without running the engine?

This is my first experience with the MPC setup..   I'm much more familiar with the old PW tenders..

So, I've found this post to be most helpful..

I didn't try to run the engine more than a few inches before the smoke unit glowed bright red..   and smelled of electronics (not good smoke)  So, IDK how well it will run yet..   probably needs some TLC..  the overall appearance of the engine and tender are very favorable..    Also, I do not have the manual for it..  but does anyone know what part number for replacement traction tires?

Thanks in Advance,

Joe K

@KOOLjock1 posted:

It's a MPC Engine.  I can't believe Lionel still had Pill Elements in stock by this time, as they had been phased out after 1959.

NO MPC MIGHTY SOUND OF STEAM ENGINE IN STORAGE SHOULD HAVE POWER APPLIED UNTIL THE FOAM UNDER THE BOARD IN THE TENDER IS REPLACED.

Jon

Surprisingly the 1970 catalog list smoke pellets as item 2911.  Once in a while they pop up for sale on auction sites.

Attachments

Images (1)

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.