Skip to main content

This is for Steve Eastman, in the ongoing saga of standard gauge doodlebugs.

I bought a junque box because it had an Ives 184 club car with snake pull couplers that I needed to complete my Cardinal Special set.  Other stuff in the box not so attractive.  There was a 419 combine car that somebody had started to strip, it had no trucks and for some reason was missing both ends of the car, the vestibules with the doors were gone.  The more I looked at it the wheels started to turn. A few modifications including two observation railings for a 490 later, and we have another entry in the self-propelled railbus/van derby.

david

Attachments

Videos (1)
914 Parcel Van
Last edited by Former Member
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Steve, I had an MTH trolley truck off a "Pay as You Enter", so it was ready-made. Great motor, but kinda cheating. I keep my eyes open and about once a year I come across an MTH 2-motor #9 that is going for half list price because of something cosmetic with the car.  I won't pay list price for these but if I can get them cheap, that's 2 motors to use.  I get the can motor version and then sell the PS2 board and the car body.  The traditional motor version has big gears on the wheels that won't go thru switches, and the motors aren't that great anyway.

I put a Williams reversing board inside, which gives it the smooth reverse sequence, and also provides the bridge rectifier for the can motor.

Would love to be able to make my own power truck.. There are plenty of good can motors available.  What I need is a source for the right gears, a worm gear for the motor shaft and a matching helical drive gear that fits on the axle.  Would be simple and inexpensive to do if you could find the right parts, but I haven't yet.

david

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.