Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

@Bill Park posted:

Over the years I have heard many railroad friends speak about the York Train Meet. I didn't pay a lot of attention since I was always working. Now retired, I would like to go if possible. Can someone provide me the information and requirements to attend?  Thanking you advance. Bill Park

Bill, just a quick response as I'm sure others will chime in. The York Train meet is sponsored by the Eastern Division of the Train Collector's Association (TCA). If you search for "TCA Eastern Division" you'll probably find plenty of info on it. To get full access to the meet you have to be a member of the TCA. There IS limited access for non-members.

@Bill Park posted:

Over the years I have heard many railroad friends speak about the York Train Meet. I didn't pay a lot of attention since I was always working. Now retired, I would like to go if possible. Can someone provide me the information and requirements to attend?  Thanking you advance. Bill Park

This document, known to all as "Clem's Primer," has pages of good information about the York Meet, and is especially helpful for first-timers.

Clem’s York Primer (tcatrains.org)

It's almost the York Equinox (the day halfway between meets).  Always a great time.  I'm optimistic - October is historically better than April. 

To the folks who are using vacation time from work in order to go - congratulations - that's what those days are for, and you earned them.

Don't "wait until next time" - considering the demographics of TCA, we never know if there will be a tomorrow for the meet or for us.

@eddie g posted:

I don't know why people say October is better than April. I have never found April any different then October.

Eddie......I can give you a reason, but, it's personal and likely not applicable to most people....I love pumpkin pancakes....and, the Round-the-Clock only features them in October.......

....as far as the Show itself.....I love it equally in October and April.....

Peter

@eddie g posted:

I don't know why people say October is better than April. I have never found April any different then October.

I can't talk about times past, or in "normal times' for that matter, but October 2021 York was bigger in terms of vendor participation and people selling, and there were a lot more layouts there (the Purple Hall in April of this year was pretty much empty). It was kind of weird, I would have figured that April would have been bigger, given that Covid concerns were still more of an issue in October. I am looking forward to October, even if I can't go for whatever reasons, I'll still purchase a pass and hope October this year is better than April was (April was fine, but hey, don't you always hope the next show is better?).  We can only hope the stars align and it turns out great...and if it doesn't, still better than anything else I could be doing.

I like both Yorks equally, but I do agree that the "vibe" is a little different for each.  Like others have said, October is the beginning of train season and the excitement that comes with all the other shows, club setups, and holiday events that happen between the October and April Yorks.  For me, April York, being the end of train season, offers a last hurrah and "train fix" to last the long, sparse months between April and October.

Andy

I like both Yorks equally, but I do agree that the "vibe" is a little different for each.  Like others have said, October is the beginning of train season and the excitement that comes with all the other shows, club setups, and holiday events that happen between the October and April Yorks.  For me, April York, being the end of train season, offers a last hurrah and "train fix" to last the long, sparse months between April and October.

Andy

That's a good description.

I've generally found better deals in April, but October often brings the opportunity to see the fall colors along the PA turnpike - at least I get something for the $20 each way...

Although I have attended both the April and October meets for years, if I had to pick only one, it would definitely be October. I love the fall season and I really like the prelude to the holiday season that kicks off (for TCA members, at least) in October. And, with all the changes that have affected the York Meet in recent times, folks will find that in terms of manufacturer, vendor, supplier, and dealer participation, they will likely see a good many more on-hand in October than they did in April (and in future April meets). That, of course, applies mainly to the dealer hall or halls.

To me, both meets are just as good as the other, however, I feel the real question from reading responses is which meet do you enjoy the most?  I enjoy the October meet the most because it's leading up to my favorite times of year - fall and winter and to me, it's the gateway to the holiday season.

-Greg

Last edited by Greg Houser

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.