Skip to main content

Ok. I don’t want to jinx this but my 10 Year old son and I will be there. Flights booked, hotel booked, car rental booked, list of stuff to buy made. It’s been 3 long years and 3 canceled York trips. Glad my son is still into the trains although his interest has shifted slightly to vintage hot wheels and matchbox. Can’t wait!

@bigkid posted:

I have a question (and it is pretty early), I didn't see on the EDTCA website if the modular standard gauge layout was going to be there this time. They were October last year and for me it was pure magic. They weren't there in April, hence my question.

@Spectac posted:

Just ordered my badge. Always excited for another York!!

@bigkid I don’t know if they will be back but I agree that the SGMA layout last October was a highlight. I spent hours there. It would be great for them to return this fall.

-Tom

SGMA wants to come back.  ED is not being very cooperative or accommodating. 

Please call or email the ED folks and tell them how much you would like to see the SGMA layout set up in the Orange hall again.

Registered for my badge a day or so ago, and will be making hotel reservations today. I plan to be at York on Wednesday, even though we have decided to not have a separate OGR booth again due, primarily, to cost considerations. Nevertheless, we do plan to have some sort of York Special Offer for magazine and forum subscribers and participants at the meet, the details of which will be announced by Alan Arnold in the near future. I look forward to seeing a good number of you folks at the traditional Thursday morning breakfast at the Round the Clock Diner, and I certainly hope to see and talk with many of you devoted OGR supporters during the meet days. I will be spending most of my time in the Orange Hall, so should be easy enough to find.

UPDATE A FEW HOURS AFTER MY INITIAL POST:

Made my hotel reservation, so I'm pretty much good to go. Could not get a room at La Quinta (which is a personal favorite due to its convenient location to the fairgrounds), but did get booked with the Wingate by Wyndham, where I have also stayed numerous times in the past.

Last edited by Allan Miller

I will NEVER forget My First York Train Meet in 2014....  and seeing 👁️👁️ acres and acres of Orange & Blue Train Boxes.....

... the OGR  Train group presentations in the Stadium Stands

... the OGR Dinner

... and meeting "in-person" with all the OGR Forum members and OGR staff !!!!

I attended the York Meet 3 Years in a row... as we were visiting relatives in Yardley, Pennsylvania.

It was an amazing experience I shall never forget !!!

@Allan Miller, I can't make this one, so you are going to have to have fun without me. I always enjoy talking to you and anyone else at OGR. I really enjoyed talking with Ed a couple of years back setting up the Friday OGR meeting. It was great just talking with him setting up chairs about anything that came up. Also, make sure you draft someone on this topic to take pictures.

@Bill Park posted:

Over the years I have heard many railroad friends speak about the York Train Meet. I didn't pay a lot of attention since I was always working. Now retired, I would like to go if possible. Can someone provide me the information and requirements to attend?  Thanking you advance. Bill Park

Bill, no requirement other than admission badge. York is simply a very enjoyable few days of nothing but trains, friends and anything associated with trains. If there is something you are looking for in Ogauge or Flyer you’ll most likely find it along with other items you never knew you wanted or needed. If you have a train budget that’s great. If not you’ll still enjoy the day or days. Great time, great vendors and great new friends in the making.

Bill, I go down on Sunday and do the bandit meets at the hotels on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Thursday and Friday I do the TCA meet at the fairgrounds. I leave to go home after breakfast Saturday morning. I don't go back on Saturday because by then I am all trained out. I have a 530 mile drive each way, and I have been doing it for 45 years. I think that I have missed about 4 shows. You will have a ball. Your welcome to call me, my phone is 2075419444. Ed

Last edited by eddie g

Hi everyone. This will be my 1st meet, and I'm not really sure what to expect. I took up model trains when I retired and joined the TCA earlier this year. It will be just me as my wife has zero interest. I registered and got a small card in the mail, so that's it? Do I need to pick up anything at the show itself?

Finally, what time is it over on Saturday so I can decide if I want to stay another night and drive home Sunday.

Thanks, Tim

Only thing you may want to pick up at the show is a lanyard for around your neck since you are supposed to keep the card visible. That is available for a couple of bucks at the Silver hall. On the other hand, if you have something else that can display it, you won't need anything else. Enjoy! October last year was my first, and I had a blast, did this spring, too.

Best part is meeting people from on here and elsewhere.

@TimMacPA posted:

Hi everyone. This will be my 1st meet, and I'm not really sure what to expect. I took up model trains when I retired and joined the TCA earlier this year. It will be just me as my wife has zero interest. I registered and got a small card in the mail, so that's it? Do I need to pick up anything at the show itself?

Finally, what time is it over on Saturday so I can decide if I want to stay another night and drive home Sunday.

Thanks, Tim

Tim………about 3-4 weeks before the meet, I put up an announcement for a pre-York breakfast. It will be Thursday AM from about 7-7:30 till 9:00. All are welcome and it’s a great way for York 1st timers to meet fellow TCA members. Always a good time. Join us if you can.

Location: the Round-the-Clock Diner, on Route 30 just east of I-83.

Peter

Last edited by Putnam Division

about 3-4 weeks before the meet, I put up an announcement for a pre-York breakfast. It will be Thursday AM from about 7-7:30 till 9:00. All are welcome and it’s a great way for York 1st timers to meet fellow TCA members.

Location: the Round-the-Clock Diner, on Route 30 just east of I-83.

Peter

I plan to be there bright and early (probably even before the "official" 7 am time).  Looking forward to it!

@NJCJOE posted:

Tim,

Since you have your badge you are all set. The member halls are open to 2pm and the dealer halls 3pm on Saturday.

Saturday is nearly deserted.  Some folks like to hang around to hunt for bargains - I've never found Saturday to be very fruitful.  On the plus side, the light crowds make it easy to take your time and talk to people.

My best deals have always been at the opening on Thursday and the closing on Saturday.  On Thursday I pickup the more rare items I am looking for that were priced fairly. On Saturday I get the items that were overpriced on Thursday and Friday and the table holder is now willing to negotiate to a more fair price.  

@Keith k posted:

My best deals have always been at the opening on Thursday and the closing on Saturday.  On Thursday I pickup the more rare items I am looking for that were priced fairly. On Saturday I get the items that were overpriced on Thursday and Friday and the table holder is now willing to negotiate to a more fair price.  

That is kind of my plan too. On Friday after a morning session, I hope to visit a few antique shops and see what I can find.

Tim and other 1st York attendees,

1.Wear comfortable walking shoes.  

2. Bring lots of cash and a credit card with a zero balance.
3. Hotel reservations.
4. Buy an item when you see it if the price is right. It probably be gone when you return or you will forget where you saw it.
5. Saturday is sales day. Some vendors post 50% off table sales and/or they will negotiate well.
Enjoy York- it is a gigantic show!  

Tim and other 1st York attendees,

1.Wear comfortable walking shoes.  

2. Bring lots of cash and a credit card with a zero balance.
3. Hotel reservations.
4. Buy an item when you see it if the price is right. It probably be gone when you return or you will forget where you saw it.
5. Saturday is sales day. Some vendors post 50% off table sales and/or they will negotiate well.
Enjoy York- it is a gigantic show!  

All great advice, especially #4.

A few more...

When buying from a dealer, ask if there is a discount for cash.  Many dealers will "pay the sales tax" if paying with cash.  If there's no discount, use your credit card - get the points and conserve your cash for other purchases.

Re hotels, the good places near the fairgrounds are already full.  However, I was recently on the Choice Hotels site - there are some reasonably priced rooms still available in the vicinity.  Read the reviews carefully - if a room is under around $80, there's a reason - when in doubt, ask for opinions here.  Make a cancellable reservation just in case your plans change.

Please shower daily and wear clean clothes.  It's amazing how many people don't, and your fellow attendees will appreciate it.

One other thing to add about money, make sure you have plenty of ones, fives, and tens too boot. You'll need the smaller bills for tips for trips to the can, and or for trying to help the sellers as sometimes they are looking for small bills. Mostly as stated by Ted, they will deal. Something's you buy may be totalling $80-90, they may knock it down to $60-70 depending on the day like he said. Sometimes they'll round down.

Also, if you are shopping for freight or passenger cars, they may wheel and deal throwing in an additional(or two cars) for a better deal. Deals are always to be had. I think the MTH passenger cars I bought last year I got a very good deal. I bought 6 or something like that but not all at once. I should have.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.