Skip to main content

Two weeks from today, my travel companion and I will be hitting the road with a trailer full of goodies to sell (we both sell in Blue Hall), and the hopes to find a bunch of goodies to bring back from the Bandit Meets and the "Big Y Meet" itself!    We spend the night in Gettysburg (much cheaper than York) and get up early on Wednesday to meet more of our club members for breakfast at Round the Clock and head off to the Bandit meets and whatever fun we plan for the rest of the day (we usually head off to hobby shops or club open houses, even sometimes venturing as far away as Nicholas Smith Trains).  These next two weeks are going to just creep by...

Andy

I'll be getting into town Thursday afternoon with enough time to check-in to the hotel and head over to Quaker Steak and Lube for dinner so no trains for me until Friday, but I'm really looking forward to it!  I haven't done much with the trains since Christmas by design due to taking care of my parents, work, and home improvements so I'm really looking forward to York to kick off my summer season of trains!

Everyone travel safe!

-Greg

@PRRMP54 posted:

Last year, I went to a hobby show (not trains) in Gettysburg but stayed in Chambersburg as it was a lot cheaper the Gettysburg facility.

Prices depend on what events are in town.  For York week, Gettysburg rooms are close to half the price of those in York.  This trip will be my most inexpensive trip, hotel-wise thanks to me redeeming 2 free nights from 2 different rewards programs.  My half of the hotel bills this time will be $139 total.

Andy

If I were going Saturday, I would hit the halls in this order: Blue, Silver, Red, White, Purple (to see the layout(s)), Yellow (underneath the grandstands if open and being used - I don't think it is being used this York), and Orange.

Andy

Goes to show how everyone's opinion differs.   I always put the ORANGE Hall at the top of my list because its not my priority to go through all of stuff private sellers have on their tables in the other halls. 

@PRRMP54 posted:

Last year, I went to a hobby show (not trains) in Gettysburg but stayed in Chambersburg as it was a lot cheaper the Gettysburg facility.

Prices depend on what events are in town.  For York week, Gettysburg rooms are close to half the price of those in York.  This trip will be my most inexpensive trip, hotel-wise thanks to me redeeming 2 free nights from 2 different rewards programs.  My half of the hotel bills this time will be $139 total.

Andy

IMO, weighing the cost and distance when choosing a hotel can be difficult.  For years, I chafed at the high prices in York.  Anymore, I just bite the bullet and stay in York.  Gettysburg is a 45 minute drive (1.5 hour round trip) and Chambersburg is about 1:15 (2.5 hour round trip) each day that one is in the area.  When I'm on traincation, maximizing my time for train-related activities is the main priority - I'm trading money for time and enjoyment.  Also, if I go to one of the dinners in York and enjoy a beverage, a long drive on dark winding roads isn't an inviting prospect.

We (the modular group) were hard at work today making final adjustments to our new module that turns the 6x11 into a 6x15. We are unveiling this new module at York.

We packed and loaded the 12x15 onto its cart and made plans to load up Saturday the 15th.

The group arrives Wednesday to set up…….I’m coming up early Tuesday for the bandit meets.

Thursday AM Round-the Clock Diner breakfast meeting is a great way to begin the day on Thursday. Come join us if you can.

Please come see our modular layouts in the Purple Hall, Thursday through Saturday. The line up looks great.

Five O and S gauge layouts in the Purple Hall. The Standard gauge group in the Black Hall and the Kids Club O gauge layout in the Orange Hall lobby.

Can’t wait!

The layout roster is on the ED website Home page……..scroll down to the bottom.

http://easterntca.com/

Peter

@Mallard4468 posted:

Gettysburg is a 45 minute drive (1.5 hour round trip) and Chambersburg is about 1:15 (2.5 hour round trip) each day that one is in the area.

I agree that staying outside of York during the meet itself is not worth the commute time for a little savings.  We stay in Gettysburg on Tuesday night on our way to York.  We got tired of getting up at 3-4 a.m. and driving straight to the bandit meets on Wednesday mornings.  This way, we have a relaxing drive out, and get a full nights sleep before hitting Round the Clock (beats the fast food breakfasts we had on the drive out when getting up in the middle of the night) and the bandit meets.  Sure, we could drive straight to York Tuesday night, but we wouldn't be saving any time, and we'd rather have the little extra $$$ to spend at the meets.

Andy

@RadioRon posted:

Goes to show how everyone's opinion differs.   I always put the ORANGE Hall at the top of my list because its not my priority to go through all of stuff private sellers have on their tables in the other halls.

Since the OP I was responding to didn't mention his priorities or what his primary search goals were, I chose an order that would allow someone who was originally intending on only attending on Saturday the best chance at seeing the whole meet.  Orange Hall closes an hour later than the other halls, and too many in the member halls pack up early on Saturdays, so to me, it makes sense to start in the member halls, even if only for a quick walk-through, and save Orange for last.

Andy

@conrail5065 posted:

Actually the Dealer Halls and MEMBER HALL charts have been posted!

As Ryan mentioned last night, the Dealer Hall and MEMBER HALL charts are both posted! Here are links to each of them:

Orange Hall Booths

Orange Hall Tables

Orange Hall Dealer Names

Blue Hall Tables

Red Hall Tables

Silver Hall Tables

White Hall Tables

Also noticed that the list of operating layouts and photos are finally all updated along with links to all of the club websites. Check it out: List of Layouts at York

One last thing... a little birdy told me they heard that the Kids Korner is on for York this April! It has not been officially announced yet, but I can tell you that my source is pretty trustworthy. So bring those kiddos along to York!

@RLN3 posted:

Also noticed that the list of operating layouts and photos are finally all updated along with links to all of the club websites. Check it out: List of Layouts at York

Check out our website:     www.rivercity3railers.com

We are bringing our 12x15 layout with is done with Fastrack and features Menard's buildings and our 6x11 layout which is loosely modeled on a PostWar Lionel Display layout, albeit with wider radius tinplate curves (O54).......and, the 6x11 has been expanded to 6x15 with a new module that we are unveiling at York.

Please join us in the Purple Hall!

Peter

I could stay in Gettysburg for free in my son's dorm room (has a single with plenty of room) but I like to drink when I socialize and routinely stay until the Quaker Steak and Lube closes. Therefore, I stay at the LaQuinta so I can walk instead of drive. Besides, the Quaker Steak after party is a rockin event in Ted "Mr Malomar's" room!

Andy - have you been to the WW2 museum in Gettysburg?  Thinking about visiting Thursday morning since I need to pick up some stuff from my son ahead of coming home in May (so we only need 1 vehicle).  I've been to to the POW camp but haven't had the chance to visit the museum.

-Greg

@Greg Houser posted:
Andy - have you been to the WW2 museum in Gettysburg?  Thinking about visiting Thursday morning since I need to pick up some stuff from my son ahead of coming home in May (so we only need 1 vehicle).  I've been to to the POW camp but haven't had the chance to visit the museum.

I haven't been, but it is on my list.  Too bad they aren't open Tuesdays or we would go early and visit (I doubt they would open for appointment for just two of us).   I wonder what they charge to take a Sherman for a spin?

Andy

To amuse myself last night, I used the member hall charts and crunched some numbers.

The 4 member halls have a capacity, as currently laid out, of 1,575 tables.  This meet, as of the posting of the charts, 1,422 of them are assigned, or approximately 90.29%.  If those 1,422 tables were arranged in a straight line, and assuming 6' tables, that would be a little over 1.6 miles!

Hunting the halls at York is good exercise!

Andy

I haven't been, but it is on my list.  Too bad they aren't open Tuesdays or we would go early and visit (I doubt they would open for appointment for just two of us).   I wonder what they charge to take a Sherman for a spin?

Andy

To amuse myself last night, I used the member hall charts and crunched some numbers.

The 4 member halls have a capacity, as currently laid out, of 1,575 tables.  This meet, as of the posting of the charts, 1,422 of them are assigned, or approximately 90.29%.  If those 1,422 tables were arranged in a straight line, and assuming 6' tables, that would be a little over 1.6 miles!

Hunting the halls at York is good exercise!

Andy

@Andy Hummell

That's a good question regarding the cost to ride in the tank.  When I called last week I never got around to asking the question as I pretty much didn't care what it cost - I just wanted to know when and how to reserve my spot!  From what I was told, they only give rides 2-3 times per year with the next one being July 28th-30th as they have a weekend event.  I signed up to be on the mailing list which is the best way to keep informed of when they give rides.

As to walking the halls - I walk 4-5 miles on any given day and I agree, it's great exercise!

-Greg

Check out our website:     www.rivercity3railers.com

We are bringing our 12x15 layout with is done with Fastrack and features Menard's buildings and our 6x11 layout which is loosely modeled on a PostWar Lionel Display layout, albeit with wider radius tinplate curves (O54).......and, the 6x11 has been expanded to 6x15 with a new module that we are unveiling at York.

Please join us in the Purple Hall!

Peter

The new module Peter mentions is worth the trip to York all by itself. Not that I am biased or anything.....

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.