Skip to main content

@mike g. posted:

Hi guys asking for a friend he was just wondering if this is an east coast thing, or is there folks that come from the west? Seems like a long way to go for a train show!

I live in SoCal and have traveled to 29 York Meets ... almost always meeting up with a group of guys from NorCal and then spending time & dinners with some local "Easties".

It's always a great trip - especially if you plan (and take) enough time to explore the NE and D.C. area.  We've certainly seen most of the sights/sites in the area - historic and contemporary.  We've been able to make trips on most local NE and mid-Atlantic "tourist" trains.  We've seen many home layouts.  And that's not to mention that April York ALWAYS provides opportunities to take in some MLB or MiLB games in the wider area.  October York leads us to the fall colors - and other autumn attractions.

I haven't been to York since October, 2019, but I might make the trip in October.  And, that depends on a number of factors ....

Good luck in your plans to go to York

I just finished Day 1 of my first trip ever to York. Wow! I've been to a lot of train shows, but this was so much bigger and there was SO MUCH O stuff! I got through the Silver Hall and part of the Orange Hall. I've only recently gotten into model railroading, so it was nice to see the products in person that I have been drooling over online. Those Ross switches sure are nice! I am keeping a tight rein on purchases as we have not started building the layout yet. The only thing I bought today was a Weaver Chessie covered hopper car. I am really looking forward to Day 2 tomorrow!

Crowd is lighter but on Thursday so lots of bags and boxes go out the door so the spenders are here.And they and the dollars and cents will out weigh crowd numbers. April York is the end of the train season and costs and the internet change how we live.Its still a great time! And there are some great bargains and rare finds.

Last edited by dk122trains

Well day one was a blast! I left with a vehicle loaded! Couldn’t even see out the rear view mirror! I sure did exceed my budget but some deals simple couldn’t get set back down. I was able to negotiate all my prices down from sticker price, even at METCA using the Chris’s Trains and Things discount.

I’ll be York bound in roughly 2 hours for round two! Hope everyone is having a fantastic time at York! Safe travels!

Only a few folks there at Quaker Steak? I guess that's why no pictures then?

I was not able to make it to York this time due to some unexpected problems with the cataract surgery I had recently, but plan to be there in Oct. and we'll try to do it up right--hopefully with a good-size crowd--at Quaker Steak on that Thursday.

I was not able to make it to York this time due to some unexpected problems with the cataract surgery I had recently, but plan to be there in Oct. and we'll try to do it up right--hopefully with a good-size crowd--at Quaker Steak on that Thursday.

One thing I always enjoying is chatting with you or any of the other OGR folks Allan. I can remember of 2018's October York Ed and I talking quite a bit before the Friday meeting as I was helping him set up. Sure miss that.

I was there today for Friday only. So I missed the QSL party and the so-called Greg Houser La Quinta all night after party that ends in the am with a coffee cup on top of my car!
York was crowded with plenty of bargains to be found. I did buy a KLine Nabisco train set new in box from 1995 from a guy in the silver hall. Jackpot! Since I did work for Kraft/Nabisco and ended my career after they spilt with Nabisco, I look and collect any Kraft and Nabisco engines/rolling stock. Got a set from 28 years ago that I did not know it was made. York was a good one with a nice addition.
In October, I’ll be there for 2 days and will join in on the Greg Houser all night La Quinta party!

Last edited by Ted Bertiger

I was there today for Friday only. So I missed the QSL party and the so-called Greg Houser La Quinta all night after party that ends in the am with a coffee cup on top of my car!
York was crowded with plenty of bargains to be found. I did buy a KLine Nabisco train set new in box from 1995 from a guy in the silver hall. Jackpot! Since I did work for Kraft/Nabisco and ended my career after they spilt with Nabisco, I look and collect any Kraft and Nabisco engines/rolling stock. Got a set from 28 years ago that I did not know it was made. York was a good one with a nice addition.
In October, I’ll be there for 2 days and will join in on the Greg Houser all night La Quinta party!

Ted, I look forward to it!

-Greg

@Mallard4468 posted:

The loop appeared to handle a longer train than the original Lionel version that I'm familiar with - do you have a track plan for it?

We are planning to do an article for the Magazine.......it will all be there with build pictures.

We've been working constantly on this since late February.  I have been taking detail build pictures and only with great restraint have I not shared them all.....

Thank you for your kind comments. It was great to meet you in person, and, your Standard Gauge group outdid themselves with a spectacular display!

Peter

Many thanks to Putnam Division for organizing  a fun night  out tonight at Olive Garden. 20230421_19225120230421_192258

Hey, I know those folks. Great to see a bigger crowd than usual. We usual took a couple of tables to hold us all. I think in 2019 we had two groups as there wasn't enough space to make one table. There's always a couple of things going on Friday night to split where people are going so the crowd is smaller because of that.

We are planning to do an article for the Magazine.......it will all be there with build pictures.

We've been working constantly on this since late February.  I have been taking detail build pictures and only with great restraint have I not shared them all.....

Thank you for your kind comments. It was great to meet you in person, and, your Standard Gauge group outdid themselves with a spectacular display!

Peter

Great idea for a magazine article!

Enjoyed meeting you as well, and thanks for the kind words about SGMA.

Peter

The module was awesome and I look forward to the upcoming article.  It was great to meet you on Friday Peter.

And that's what is important(said in Conan voice). Greg, as long as you all had a great time and hopefully someone represented my Guinness Stout. Anyone have steak for dinner, or you can't recall because of the games on the tube?

Hi Dave,

Half our table had the ribs but I'm sure someone had steak!  Our club president, Chris Lord was drinking Guinness and he ordered one too many so I was happy to drink it for him!

-Greg

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.