Skip to main content

colorado hirailer posted:

This is the meet new and different manufacturers will be set up with new and different prototypes, right?

If you are referring to Allentown, it's the second best train show in the southeast PA area compared to York. I have no idea if the dealers are at York or not (some are), but it's a fun way to spend a cold day in February. Getting together with 15-20 OGR members for breakfast is a fun "plus" (at least we laugh a lot). Since you live 500 miles from Allentown, I wonder why you are asking (no it's not worth the 16 hour round trip drive).

Last edited by Joe Hohmann

Oops!  Did my hotel late (signed up yesterday), and needed to go somewhere different this time.  Not a huge deal, but I was a bit surprised, as the place I stay up near Harrisburg is normally not as packed as it used to be when York had higher attendance in the past.  (It used to be I would see tons of train people there each meet, now it's probably a lot less of the hotel capacity).  Maybe we are overlapping with something else this meet? (Carlisle Cars, etc.)

The relative early date this spring may have screwed me up (and I also may have just been sidetracked with other things and forgotten to do it...  "What do you mean it's March already?  didn't we just finish Christmas?" ). 

-Dave

Last edited by Dave45681
Dave45681 posted:

Oops!  Did my hotel late (signed up yesterday), and needed to go somewhere different this time.  Not a huge deal, but I was a bit surprised, as the place I stay up near Harrisburg is normally not as packed as it used to be when York had higher attendance in the past.  (It used to be I would see tons of train people there each meet, now it's probably a lot less of the hotel capacity).  Maybe we are overlapping with something else this meet? (Carlisle Cars, etc.)

The relative early date this spring may have screwed me up (and I also may have just been sidetracked with other things and forgotten to do it...  "What do you mean it's March already?  didn't we just finish Christmas?" ). 

-Dave

I just did some research.   Carlisle Car show is April 24th.    Here are some Harrisburg events:

APR 11 2019

Demo Event 2

Pennsylvania Farm Show Complex & Expo Center , 2300 North Cameron Street, Harrisburg, United States

Thu Apr 11 2019
07:00 pm to 10:00 pm

show 3 similar events

APR 12 2019

Beyond Leadership Spring 2019

Dixon University Center , 2986 N. Second Street, Harrisburg, United States

Fri Apr 12 2019
09:00 am to 04:30 pm

The 2019 Artisan Guitar Show - VIP Package

Best Western Premier The Central Hotel & Conference Center , 800 East Park Drive, Harrisburg, United States

Fri Apr 12 2019 at 06:00 pm to Sun Apr 14 2019 at 06:00 pm

Wines Of The World

Hilton Harrisburg Hotel , 1 N 2nd St, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania 17101, Harrisburg, United States

Fri Apr 12 2019 at 06:00 pm to Sat Apr 13 2019 at 08:00 pm

APR 13 2019

The 2019 Artisan Guitar Show - General Admission – Weekend Pass – Advance Price

Best Western Premier The Central Hotel & Conference Center , 800 East Park Drive, Harrisburg, United States

Sat Apr 13 2019 at 10:00 am to Sun Apr 14 2019 at 06:00 pm

show 1 similar events

717 Armory 2nd Annual Spring Fling Charity Ride

717 Armory , 7500 Derry Street, Harrisburg, United States

Sat Apr 13 2019
10:00 am to 04:00 pm
Mike McCutcheon posted:
Dave45681 posted:

-Dave

I just did some research.   Carlisle Car show is April 24th.    Here are some Harrisburg events:

Wow!  Thanks, but I hope you didn't go to too much trouble to make that list on my account.

That list certainly could explain it, I guess.  Lots of things over the three days I wanted (Wed to Fri night, of course).

I'll survive .  The motel I ended up in will be under the same rewards club as my normal motel by the time York happens, so it's all good.  I sometimes use points to bring down the rate for York a little, but these trips are not so high in cost per night that it stresses me that I couldn't do that this time (I think with taxes, I'm still roughly around $250 total for the 3 nights at the new place).  I'm OK with saving my points to use where it can mean more $$ off of a higher rate when I go somewhere else (or just a lot more York trips! ).

So my procrastination maybe cost me $70-$80 (and the motel is probably a bit nicer nicer than my go-to as well, since it's supposedly a recently built facility).   Oh well.  It's still York week and better than a good day at work!

-Dave

Last edited by Dave45681

The train ride was fine. We had 2 roomettes across from each other. 3&4 going & 1&2 coming back. I made the res last July.  Nothing unusual  happened. We were 1 hour late getting in to Ft. Lauderdale, & 1 1/2 hours late into NY. That was fine because we had a 1/2 hour to spare to catch the northeast regional to Boston. It was sunny & 84 deg everyday in key West.  The last day there I came down with a sore throat which is now a bad cold.  My daughter got the cold 2 days later.  Have a great trip. Ed 

Last edited by eddie g
eddie g posted:

You live in NJ and get get to York?  I don't think you are trying hard enough.

All about timing Eddie. I won't be ready for long travel next month as I wouldn't want to have an issue after surgery. Surgeon said a month and a half of light duty, nothing over 20.lbs. Fall is uncertain because of work schedule. There is a period in October where no vacations are allowed. I've been lucky the past two October's.

Dave, Take it real easy after your surgery. I had a double hernia surgery done December 19th and I'm still dealing with some issues. I was told to absolutely lift no more than 10 pounds for a month. I told the doctor to extend it to six weeks and I am still recovering slowly. I didn't feel like going anywhere for a couple weeks, and was not allowed to drive for a month. Good luck and your mileage may vary!  Doug

Thanks Doug. I worked with a guy that had a double, he was back to work the next day. No one knows how the heck he did it because his job was awkward lifting from start to finish. I plan on taking it as easy as I can. Work is fortunate because I can delegate stuff I can't do or won't be able to do to someone else. Hopefully I heal up good and be back to okay shape in no time with no reoccurrence. I'll have to play everything by ear, so no Hulking out as it were.

I didn't take it that way Eddie. Sad truth about my hernia, my GP had told me when I got it that I didn't need surgery, just keep an eye on it. Well, I did and told him a bit later to suggest a surgeon. I sort of got a little busy(York first time) and thought I might not need to get surgery. Most days I felt great. Its only been recently that my body started saying enough of this, so I had to act. I think now that I should have pursued it much better from the get go. I still would have made York back then, just foolish I suppose. You know we all have that time when we think we're indestructible. I still think I am, to a degree, but will be more careful. See what comes, that's for sure.

eddie g posted:

The train ride was fine. We had 2 roomettes.  Nothing unusual  happened. We were 1 hour late getting in to Ft. Lauderdale, Have a great trip. Ed 

We were lucky with our train. It ran "on-time" all the way, until Sebring, Fl, when someone had a medical problem. A ambulance was called, and the person was taken away. The 30 minute delay was negated by W Palm Beach, and we arrived in Ft. Lauderdale 4 minutes early. 

Last edited by Joe Hohmann
Dave NYC Hudson PRR K4 posted:

Well, I'll be missing April yet again. Got to get surgery done on my hernia in late March and won't be train capable for a while. No lifting, golfing(I don't play), or any such stuff.

I'm not sure about the fall yet, but that might be possible/not possible due to time off. I'll have to wait and see. Hopefully next Spring I'll get out there.

Best of luck with your surgery.

Peter

I didn't take it that way Eddie. Sad truth about my hernia, my GP had told me when I got it that I didn't need surgery, just keep an eye on it. Well, I did and told him a bit later to suggest a surgeon. I sort of got a little busy(York first time) and thought I might not need to get surgery. Most days I felt great. Its only been recently that my body started saying enough of this, so I had to act. I think now that I should have pursued it much better from the get go. I still would have made York back then, just foolish I suppose. You know we all have that time when we think we're indestructible. I still think I am, to a degree, but will be more careful. See what comes, that's for sure.

Good luck, and sorry about the timing.

Depending on how soon your surgery is, and of course everybody is different, but maybe you can leave your options open for York.  I had the 3-hole punch with mesh done on a Friday, was back at my desk on Monday (moving slowly), and was pretty much unrestricted a week later.  I couldn't carry a Blue Comet for about a week, but if you buy one I'm sure that the seller will help get it to your car.

YMMV of course. 

But don't overdo it! 

Well, I'll be missing April yet again. Got to get surgery done on my hernia in late March and won't be train capable for a while. No lifting, golfing(I don't play), or any such stuff.

I'm not sure about the fall yet, but that might be possible/not possible due to time off. I'll have to wait and see. Hopefully next Spring I'll get out there.

Good luck with your surgery Dave.  I had an umbilical hernia repaired and after a month I was 100% good to go.  I actually enjoyed the down time - no "HONEY DO" list to worry about.

Thanks Wild Mary(behind on my notifications again). Make sure you all get great deals, take great pictures, have a great time, and most of all, party with one another. I always enjoyed Peter's breakfast hosting at Round the Clock(twice my pleasure so far) and last year my first time at Quaker Steak. Definitely when I get back to me after this surgery, going to be some good old partying at York.

}irish rifle posted:
eddie g posted:

Getting closer. Got a feeling it is going to be a cold week. We could even get snow. The meet is the earlier than usual.

Eddie:

Long range forecast on AccuWeather is actually excellent. Would not take it to the bank though. Don't trust long range forecasts.  

Being that it is Pennsylvania, always remember...

09151772-91D8-4DB4-9733-2028834302AA

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 09151772-91D8-4DB4-9733-2028834302AA

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.