Skip to main content

irish rifle posted:
eddie g posted:

Getting closer. Got a feeling it is going to be a cold week. We could even get snow. The meet is the earlier than usual.

Eddie:

Long range forecast on AccuWeather is actually excellent. Would not take it to the bank though. Don't trust long range forecasts. 

"Long range" being two days out. Same day, look out of your window. 

Last edited by Joe Hohmann
farmerjohn posted:

Looking forward to York. My wife and I love the show. Even if Lionel and Atlas are not there its there loss. There is so much more to see . All the dealers and builders of net items make the show for me. 

I got more out of it last October just talking to our fellow forum members as well as some of the manufacturers. I had really wanted to talk with Dave Olson then, but they had him away doing something else unfortunately. With or without some of the manufacturers, its really all about us folks and our love of trains and train relates items.

Make sure you got extra maple syrup if you are attending the Pre-York breakfast(running joke with Alan Arnold).

I can't wait.  Spring is a great time for the meet.  No school taxes to pay, income tax came in, and I get to cash in all my quarters in my caboose piggy bank I saved over the winter.  The early meet was perfect timing for me since I will be able to go to NYC and pick up my daughter to bring her home for Easter.  Can't wait for OGR forum dinner since I wasn't able to go to the fall meet.  Great group of guys on the forum.  I desperately need a break from work.  2yrs and 10 months to retirement, but who's counting.  I will not miss Lionel or Atlas since they don't sell anything at the meet.  I go to buy things, good conversation, and see what's new.

I had a C7. I never took it to York because (1) the tires are as Gilly says, but more important, (2) the trunk is way too small. I mean, if you TRUST Peter to really take stuff home for you, then MAYBE its OK, but otherwise the Vette acts as a severe restriction on purchases. That might be a good thing.

There always seems to be one type of car show or another in that general area. Of course, Corvettes at Carlisle is the big one, but that isn't until August.

Gerry

gmorlitz posted:

... the trunk is way too small. I mean, if you TRUST Peter to really take stuff home for you, then MAYBE its OK, but otherwise the Vette acts as a severe restriction on purchases. That might be a good thing.

Gerry

I have a coupe. My wife and I routinely take trips with 2 golf bags and 2 small suitcases. Volumetrically, it does limit your purchases. Since I'm down to random car or small accessory purchases, the truck can stay at the house.

As for Peter, I trust him implicitly. His integrity is beyond reproach.  If Eddie wants to take a ride with me in the Vette, he's more than welcome. My days of "driving while stupid" have long since past.

Last edited by Gilly@N&W

Dear Eddie G and Forum members,

I am celebrating 50 years going to York. I was 13 years old - Earl Zimmerman brought me from the Philly bunch- and the York meet consisted of one hall-the Blue Hall.

I clearly remember a guy having a whole table piled high with boxed 773 hudson's for sale at $75.00. each and had a tough time selling them.

Standard gauge was King. Ward Kimble was holding court at his table in the middle of the hall.

There was talk of some cereal company buying Lionel !!!

Go figure 50 years forward !!!

John P.Dunn Sr. Scale2Rail Promotions. 71-3781

HCSader73 posted:
Putnam Division posted:
eddie g posted:

We should be hearing from Peter any day now.

I’m here.......the breakfast announcement will go up this weekend......

Peter

Great news, Pete!

Your breakfast is the perfect start to the Meet.

The York Meet is no more.  It's now a Show.  But whatever it's called, Peter's breakfast is the perfect way to begin the festivities!

-Greg

Allan Miller posted:
eddie g posted:

WRONG, it is still a MEET. You have to pay dues to join.

Eddie is correct; it is a train MEET. One visit, and assuming you get around to other train events around the country such as WGH, Trainfest in Milwaukee, etc., you'll rather quickly see the difference.

Meet, Meet, Meet, York is a Meet. I've only been twice, and I have been to several "shows", there is a big difference(by shows I mean Greenberg's & World's Greatest Hobby here in NJ) and there is a huge difference. While going to shows you may know a few people here and there, and engage in conversation with those you know. York is by far a whole different experience in every way shape and form.

While my time spent going to shows, I probably only know 3 of the dealers(people) there and can talk to them like one normally would. At York it is far different as you seem to be able to talk to everyone regardless if you are buying or just chilling, and that doesn't even include breakfast, lunch or dinner(as they may be off site).

I always have a blast chatting it up with people at every booth(especially the OGR booth). I got great pictures my first show the crew and our favorite retired Rich Melvin giving me the evil eye as I said autostoker(you had to be there).

Anyway, it is like the difference between chicken and steak(whichever you prefer).

Wanna bet?  I only posted because of the all the past commotion on the name.   From the latest Clem's primer: first bullet

The link to it is in the March 13th TCA email to members.   I was curious on the attendance figures so I read it. 

I'll take those mea culpas now.

-Greg

Attachments

Images (1)
  • mceclip0
Last edited by Greg Houser

Trust me, it's a meet. If you have been in the hobby long enough and have made it to a good number of events of this nature (meets and shows), the difference between a MEET and a SHOW becomes quite apparent. Not that it really makes any difference though, because York--whatever you choose to call it--is just a great place for like-minded train nuts to gather together and to often enough meet with the industry folks who support the hobby. Some folks even manage to spend a bit of money there or actually make a bit.

Last edited by Allan Miller

Last October I got to chat with Allan at the Quaker Steak & Lube dinner, tease Alan about maple syrup(which he's a great sport) as well as talk with Ed when we were setting up the OGR Forum talk on Friday. Had a blast with all of them. Make sure you make it to the OGR talk on Friday. It is always full of information(you may or may not know), some hilarity, and just a great bunch of people relaxing for a spell before heading out to get more train or train related items.

Well, all, my surgery went well on Wednesday, I am doing okay. Like I said, I won't be able to make this York, my followup appointment is actually on April 11th, funny. So, you all will have to get all the good deals and keep me posted on how everything went. Missing it will be a bigger hurt by missing the breakfast and the dinner as I love to talk it up. I hope come October, I can make it there with having enough time off saved and not having inventory preventing me for taking off. So, hope to see you all in the fall. 

Dave NYC Hudson PRR K4 posted:

Well, all, my surgery went well on Wednesday, I am doing okay. Like I said, I won't be able to make this York, my followup appointment is actually on April 11th, funny. So, you all will have to get all the good deals and keep me posted on how everything went. Missing it will be a bigger hurt by missing the breakfast and the dinner as I love to talk it up. I hope come October, I can make it there with having enough time off saved and not having inventory preventing me for taking off. So, hope to see you all in the fall. 

That is excellent news!

Peter

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.