Skip to main content

I finally completed my Atlas Refer conversion to P:48.  The paint that I needed was back ordered but it was really worth the wait.  This is Scale-Coat II that comes in a spray .... It is from Minuteman Scale Models and really put the finishing touch on this project.

Here is the link to the original posting.....

https://ogrforum.ogaugerr.com/...nversion-to-proto-48

I have included the final photos below.  I still have a few touch up items and some light weathering to perform but for now the main project is complete.  This build up started with an undecorated Atlas refer shell that I picked up for $10.

I added Shapeways brake components, ProtoCraft P:48 trucks and brake wheel and staff and top pin couplers.  I replaced the stock hinges with Precision Scale items and the door opening mechanism from ProtoCraft. The under frame is scratch built with Evergreen styrene and rivets from Tichy and Archer. I used Tichy O Scale WP refer decals.  I had to re-print the WP logo on regular decal sheet.  The Tichy logos are just too thick and the idea of using white glue to secure them is counter-intuitive to me.

That's it for now.....  a couple more P:48 conversions are in the works..... more as I make progress.

Regards

Bill

Attachments

Images (11)
  • Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 12.31.57 PM: Buda Automobile Tape weights provide the extra weight for tracking.
  • Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 12.10.59 PM: The overall frame is finished in this shot....
  • Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 12.15.55 PM: The final product
  • Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 12.15.26 PM
  • Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 12.07.26 PM: I re-printed the WP logo on white decal film....
  • Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 12.07.16 PM: Truck detail
  • Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 12.09.45 PM: Brake wheel before paint....
  • Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 12.07.49 PM: Final paint on the brake wheel
  • Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 12.09.58 PM: Brake gear before paint...
  • Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 12.07.39 PM: Final brake detail on top pin coupler.
  • Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 12.08.19 PM: Undercarriage shot....
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

@Martin H posted:

nice work.  i love seeing stuff lowered to more prototypical.  I am not familiar with this car, but in general Atlas makes its rolling stock difficult to lower.

Thanks Martin....

I found that as well.....  I get rid of the stock under-carriage and scratch build my own.  I find that I can determine the correct ride height based on the Prot:48 trucks and the couplers.  On this build the insides of the shell are smooth and I added .080 X .080 strip to the proper depth to get the correct ride height.... the under frame mounts to that.

@BillYo414 posted:

I could easily make the mistake of assuming you cut down little trees to make little lumbers to make that car. This is really impressive work!

Thanks Bill.....  I use an exact saw blade to make the various pieces of wood....I cut the grain in by dragging the blade across each piece...then flat blade the sides with a razor so that there appears to be a minor bit of space between boards....  once painted deck tan I run .005 black pen through the spaces......  Also, the Atlas car, for a mass produced item, has some good grain simulation.....  

Regards

Bill

@BillYo414 posted:

That's astounding! I was just making a funny. I had assumed you bought the wooden pieces and just did the assembly

This kind of work inspires me to up my game. The 3D printer has its place in modelling but it sure does make me lazy.

I heard somewhere that the 3-D print process is going to have more types of material available....  I have not checked Shapeways yet but at least one source is stating that actual resin parts are now being printed vs the more brittle plastic stuff they are using.  I still have not had an issue with the brake detail from Shapeways.  One BIG plus is the fact that the air line holes are all part of the printing process.  So, all you need to do is clean out the holes with the proper drill bit........ works like a charm......The triple valve has 5 holes, the air tank has two and one for the actuator.......  saves a lot of time and most importantly a lot of broken drill bits!!!!!

Nice @AZBill. I know there are wood based filaments available. I'm not sure how it looks compared to real wood.

I will say that 3D printing does make assembly easier if you plan for it. I've been able to make jigs to help with assembly as well as just print assembly parts so that basically click together. I've used the drill bit trick you're describing as well.

@BillYo414 posted:

Nice @AZBill. I know there are wood based filaments available. I'm not sure how it looks compared to real wood.

I will say that 3D printing does make assembly easier if you plan for it. I've been able to make jigs to help with assembly as well as just print assembly parts so that basically click together. I've used the drill bit trick you're describing as well.

Bill....you nailed it my friend.... the planning aspect is everything.....

@AZBill posted:

I still have not had an issue with the brake detail from Shapeways.  One BIG plus is the fact that the air line holes are all part of the printing process.  So, all you need to do is clean out the holes with the proper drill bit........ works like a charm......The triple valve has 5 holes, the air tank has two and one for the actuator.......  saves a lot of time and most importantly a lot of broken drill bits!!!!!

Good info! Thanks.

Add Reply

Post
OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
330-757-3020

www.ogaugerr.com
×
×
×
×
Link copied to your clipboard.
×
×