Back in February, TrainWorx had a sale on some of their kits. While I am definitely not very talented when it comes to building things, I figured I take a chance with their Locomotive Service Racks... being pessimistic as to my chances of success, I ordered two kits, figuring that with all my mistakes, I’d end up with one serviceable model. At the time, Dorcie (aka @Traindame) said I’d “find this kit to be ‘easy breezy’ to put together” - let’s just say there are good reasons an ex-boss of mine called me the resident cynic
Each kit contains 2 racks and comes on four sheets:
At first glance, I noticed that the various parts have some incredible detail. Some of the pieces are rather delicate (especially the hand rails), but overall, the kit is very well constructed. The overall design of the sheets is very well thought out.
I began by cutting out all of the pieces for the two racks and placing them in two separate piles. I found that a chisel type x-acto blade was very useful in cutting out the various pieces. The sprue holding the pieces is tiny (especially on the 12 steps) and a steady hand helps!!!
These are all the parts for one rack.
Assembly was pretty straight forward using CA glue. A small speed square was helpful in aligning some of the pieces while the glue set up.
I planned on painting the majority of the racks gray and the steps yellow, so I didn’t attach the steps as directed in the instructions until the assembly and painting was completed.
Here are are two of the racks in my engine yard.
Overall, I am very pleased with the way the racks came out. I’m not sure I would have called it “easy breezy”, but it was easier than I expected.