Skip to main content

Hi everyone,

I bought a beautiful A-B-A set off Ebay recently and it was working great. I decided to switch engines and use another so I removed that one and put the new one up. I say "up" because my layout is wall mounted near the ceiling in my NYC apartment! I don't keep multiple locomotives on the track because any extra room is consumed by non-powered rolling stock, and, I have had certain engines take off in sync with my inputs to the engine I happen to be running. So I eventually placed the A-B-A back up and the DCS refuses to recognize it. I have thoroughly cleaned the track, rollers and wheels, and still nothing. I also made sure the switch was set to DCS. I would like to do a reset, but obviously cannot. I removed the body to make certain the engine is indeed proto 3, and I suspected, (extremely reputable seller,) no battery.

I am going to take it to a hobby shop and have them reset it for me but I thought I would run it by you guys first.

Thoughts?

Thank you very much, Chris

 

Last edited by thesubwaypusher
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

"I don't keep multiple locomotives on the track because any extra room is consumed by non-powered rolling stock, and, I have had certain engines take off in sync with my inputs to the engine I happen to be running."

Thank you very much, Chris

So when you run one DCS engine another starts and moves at the same time? That's not good. 

Have you tried operating these on a test track not hooked to your layout? 

I don't keep multiple locomotives on the track because any extra room is consumed by non-powered rolling stock, and, I have had certain engines take off in sync with my inputs to the engine I happen to be running.

This is almost always because you have multiple engines with the same DCS ID number.  This can happen if you have more than one remote and add engines at different times.  You can remedy this pretty easily by checking what engine numbers are in each remote and eliminating duplicates that aren't the same engine.

Thanks guys- 

I solved the problem with the more than one engine moving on command by simply storing only non-powered stock on the siding.

So Trainland placed the engine on its test track and their remote there was a nogo also. I am going to have to send it in. The locomotive is part a an ABA set. Do both have to be sent? I recall running the head-out engine on its own and it ran well. And no, the engine on the rear is not recognized by my DCS either.

Chris

Thanks guys- 

I solved the problem with the more than one engine moving on command by simply storing only non-powered stock on the siding.

So Trainland placed the engine on its test track and their remote there was a nogo also. I am going to have to send it in. The locomotive is part a an ABA set. Do both have to be sent? I recall running the head-out engine on its own and it ran well. And no, the engine on the rear is not recognized by my DCS either.

Chris

What is the item number? 

@Pg3ibew posted:

I had an issue with an MTH train that, on occassion, would not be found by the DCS system. And eventually was never able to be read by the DCS. After much head banging and scratching, I came to find, one of the wires from the switch SHOOK LOOSE. I was able to GERRY RIG it. And now it works fine. 

Thanks dude, I opened it up and checked for loose wiring but everything was secure.

@Pg3ibew posted:

I had an issue with an MTH train that, on occassion, would not be found by the DCS system. And eventually was never able to be read by the DCS. After much head banging and scratching, I came to find, one of the wires from the switch SHOOK LOOSE. I was able to GERRY RIG it. And now it works fine.

A big thank you to you guys who responded to my issue. As I said, I did check the wiring carefully, but apparently not carefully enough. This kind poster put the idea in my head that I should probably check again, paying particular attention to the dcc/dcs switch wires. Once again, I glanced at them and they seemed fine, but upon close examination, one of the wires had broken off the switch and stiffly stayed in a position where it was difficult to see that it no longer made contact. Bright light and reading glasses allowed me to notice it and once I soldered it back, my ABA came back to life!

:-)

A big thank you to you guys who responded to my issue. As I said, I did check the wiring carefully, but apparently not carefully enough. This kind poster put the idea in my head that I should probably check again, paying particular attention to the dcc/dcs switch wires. Once again, I glanced at them and they seemed fine, but upon close examination, one of the wires had broken off the switch and stiffly stayed in a position where it was difficult to see that it no longer made contact. Bright light and reading glasses allowed me to notice it and once I soldered it back, my ABA came back to life!

:-)

I am 53. I wear reading glasses. And need the HUGE magnifying glass with a SUPER BRIGHT Goose neck light on the work bench, AND I STILL have trouble seeing those little wires. LMAO

Glad you found the issue. The aggravation is still better than sending the engine out.

Add Reply

Post
The DCS Forum is sponsored by
OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
330-757-3020

www.ogaugerr.com
×
×
×
×
Link copied to your clipboard.
×
×