I didn’t get too far on the S-Trains list with my electrical questions, thought maybe I should try here. I am planning on powering my Xmas layout with a 13.8 VDC, 20 amp power supply, all my engines are DC. To control the trains on the 3 separate loops, I have PWM DC motor controllers rated at 10 amps, each with a 10 amp fuse which, I guess, protects the controller. With such high amperages, I’ve been told the trains will also need protection.
So, how much protection? Guessing again, I’m looking at 4 amp circuit breakers for each loop. I have no idea if this is a proper value for the circuit breakers – The engines are converted Flyer or SHS and AM DC, generally pulling lighted passenger cars.
Would like to hear if this setup is okay or not, because I don’t know if PWM DC motor controllers will harm the engines. I’m attaching the info for the controllers and circuit breakers with the hope that the more electronic savvy will comment.
· Using imported high-power FET, the load current up to 10A
· With fuse, to prevent short-circuit high current, causing burnout protection
· With reverse power protection, to prevent damage to the module when the power is reversed
· Original 63V / 1000uF large capacitor, to ensure the stability of the module
· Potentiometers are equipped with nuts, you can use without adding other components
Important: This is DC motor controller, please make sure the input voltage is from DC power, do not use home 220V AC, otherwise it will burn out. The DC Motor Speed Controller allows controlling direction of a DC motor using a Pulse-Width-Modulated (PWM) DC voltage with a Duty Cycle fully adjustable from 10%-100%. The motor speed controller can provide a continuous current of 8A to your DC motor or other DC load. Specification: 100% brand new and high quality. Input supply voltage: DC 12V-40V The maximum output power: 400W The maximum continuous output current :8A The overload and short circuit protecting current is 10A Static Current:0.02 A ( Standby ) PWM frequency: 13kHz Duty Cycle adjustable: 10%-100% The operation environment temperature:-20℃-125℃ (L*W*H): 6cm x 5.5cm x 2.8cm/2.36"x 2.16"x1.10"(approx) Net weight: 69g NOTE:This can NOT be used to the BRUSHLESS motor. The controller is NOT reverse-polarity protected and will be damaged if connect the supply voltage with wrong polarity. Double check all connections before applying power and always turn off the power supply before making any wiring changes. Package Included： 1*12V-40V 10A PWM DC Motor Speed Controller CVT Speed Switch Module
DIYhz 4Amp Circuit Breakers Thermal Overload Switch Protector 88 Series Manual Push Button Reset with Quick Connect Terminals and Waterproof Button Cap 32VDC or 125/250VAC 4PCS
- Thermal circuit breakers (can also be used for 24-hour circuit protection)
- Rating: 4A 125/250VAC/32VDC,Terminal width: 6.3mm(1/4")
- Widely suitable For Automotive/Industrial/Marine And Many Other applications
- Push-to-reset operation with black manual reset button,with a waterproof button cap to protect from bad weather.
- The part is not designed for push on / push off manual switch operation, but the button pops out at overload and is reset by pushing back in.