I purchased a Lionmaster Challenger recently. I was putting it through its paces to see if there were problems, using TMCC. I have a CAB-1L Base and remote. The engine & tender worked fine, Sounds, Throttle, Forward, Reverse, all worked well. Then I tried the Boost. The engine took the command, but would not get out of boost mode. Ran off the track at first turn. No apparent damage. When I put it back on the track and tried it again, engine went into boost and would not release. Tried several times with same result. I tried to ENG 1, AUX1, 0 reset and this did not work. I then decided to reprogram the engine to factory defaults. I shut off track and base power, set my engine to PROG, turned the base back on, placed the engine back on track, brought up track power, then entered ENG 1, SET, ENG 1, AUX1, 7, 4. Train Engine whistle acknowledged both the 7 and the 4 command. The 74 code is specified in owners manual. I then put train back to RUN, and retried operations. Engine is still stuck in Boost Mode. I have another Lionmaster engine, and it works fine, so I don't think this is a power, base, or remote issue. Have researched this online and retired the reprogram several times. No change. What am I missing? Is there a potential problem with the engine?
Replies sorted oldest to newest
Update - I tried running the Lionmaster Challenger in local mode - No TMCC & Transformer control only. The engine behaves the same as in TMCC. Runaway. I called Lionel Support and ran through all I'd done & learned with them. They say this is either a Flywheel or Board issue. Now I need to decide if I will return the engine or get it fixed.
Look at the handrails and make sure the rubber grommets are there and the handrail itself is NOT touching the shell and look closely at both ends especially the front by the cow catcher.
Friend of mine had a handrail come out of the end grommet touching the shell and it would not run correctly in TMCC.
Thank You All for your replies. I found cause of my problem by opening the locomotive. Magnetic ring exploded off the real motor. Gathered the 6 pieces & on reading entries in this forum that stated they'd used super glue to re-affix the ring back on the motor, performed same. Locomotive now working perfectly. Thanks again for your replies!!