Can somebody help me. I have been reading the TRAINS special edition on CSX.
Thete is one thing I cannot undetstand. Mabe it is a concept like the square route of -1.
People are talking about the benefits of super long trains. OK, you need fewer people to run them...
You have fewer trains on the road.
But would you not have:
1. Assembly and break up of these monsters. Many terminals cannot take them as is. Are there not costs involved?
2. Due to the mass of such monsters, would it be best to keep them moving, even at a creep. AC traction helps here. Braking issues?
3. Because of 2, would you not need longer sections of 2 Main Tracks, Double Track, or very long sidings?
4. MP started to put wye switches on droids, equlateral switches, so the tracks of the siding was of the same quality of the main. A consideration today?
5. Manure Happens. How many hours does it take to say, repair a damaged coupler? Should thete be more human eyes onboard? 2ML or DT could prevent a train from shtting down the railroad.
6. A case of penny wise; pound/dollar foolish?
BTW, the square root of -1 is the imaginary number.