Skip to main content

I currently have a Type Z for accessory power on my layout. I've got quite a few lights running at 12V AC (buildings, street lights, etc) that total up to around 200W. The Type Z is handling it but barely. I'd like to purchase a larger low voltage lighting transformer for fixed 12V lighting and just install fast blow fuses on the outputs. I've been thinking of purchasing this 300W model: Does this seem like a good option? Outputs fixed 12V, 13V, and 14V AC.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

A computer power supply will provide over 300 watts at 12 vdc for less than $20, or no cost if you salvage one. Incandescent bulbs don't care if they get ac or dc volts. The power supply also has a lightning fast breaker for direct shorts. I use two on my layout and have 3 amp breakers on the circuits to protect the wiring. You can share the common with your ac without a problem.

@ADCX Rob posted:

Use the computer supply for anything that doesn't need AC, which frees up your Z with 4 variable AC ranges.

If you want to get really tricky, and you are using external breakers, You can use A-B, A-C, A-D, B-C, B-D, & C-D as additional voltage ranges on your Type Z.

Moving those accessories requires rewiring, which I don't want to do. I'd rather just drop in a 300W 12V AC output and be done. If the transformer I linked to will do that with an external circuit breaker/fuse then I'd rather use that.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
Link copied to your clipboard.