I had a chance to buy a 5 car set of the D&H passenger cars for a good price. Since the D&H cars don't pop up all that often, I wanted the cars. The only issue was, one of them had been dropped and the truck mounts on the car chassis had been both broken out. Since I've seen this before, I figured it wasn't a big deal, and I made the deal.
After a little time on the bench, the body was good as new, and I mounted the trucks and all was well. Here's the repair in pictures.
Original Body As Received
Clean Up And Rough Up Surface For Repair
Replacements Cut From 1/16" Styrene
Note that the bottom of these were also scored to maximize the grip of the glue.
JB Weld To The Rescue!
Glued and clamped, I used JB-Kwik and gave it a few hours to set.
Finished Repair, Ready To Mount Truck Again
Pop the truck back on and you're back on the rails! Note that I made the patch one-sided, extended much more on one end. I also rounded and tapered the short end. This was to allow the truck pickup spring room to flex, the original truck mount is just a rounded bump. In order for the spring to clear, I couldn't make that end longer than it is.
This is a quick and easy repair if you run into a similar situation, this is not the first time I've had to fix this style of car.
Hope this is helpful for the next guy that drops his MTH Premier passenger car.