Good evening all,
I recently encountered an issue when performing a sound file change over on a PS2 locomotive I own. I'm going to explain every step I made so you all can try and see where something went wrong, and please advise of any advise. Note before posting: I have changed out about 7-10 sound files prior to this and never experienced an issue, PS2 or PS3, so this issue is new to me.
I have a PS2 CNJ 0-6-0 USRA Steam switcher with a hooter whistle, and simply can't stand the sound of it. To remedy this, I downloaded a Mohawk sound file (Same Voltage, PS2) to my computer and loaded up the original 0-6-0 sound file into ADPCM, a software developed by a gentleman here on OGR designed for playing sound files. I took the Mohawk whistle and copied the entire sequence (152-159 on ADPCM) into the original 0-6-0's file, as I didn't want to lose any other sounds, just simply change the whistle. I played it back a few times and everything checked out. Plugged in the engine, loaded up the file, and about 15 minutes later my computer indicated the operation was complete; no issues. I then unplugged my computer from the track, powered down the locomotive, and proceeded to power up my track to test the file (As I normally would). On this attempt, I did not hear the 2 soft *click click* that you would typically hear with PS2, indicating something went wrong. I tried starting up the locomotive, no response. No smoke, no headlight, no sounds, BUT it WILL move in forward & reverse, responding to speed commands, and also fire both couplers. I attempted to power the track on and off numerous times, and did not receive the 2 soft clicks any of those times, however the engine continues to be responsive to my remote, I even deleted it and re-added it.
Following this, I figured something went wrong with the sound file. I proceeded to download a clean version of the original sound file from MTH's website, loaded it into the locomotive, and still no resolution. Same problem as before, no clicks, no smoke, lights, or sounds, but responds to remote commands. I decided to try the new sound file download one more time, just to try and recover what was left of the situation. To my avail, I managed to get the 2 clicks BACK, but still no sound, smoke, or lights. Engine still responds to speed and coupler commands.
Typically I would think this is a board issue, but I'm inclined to believe it isn't, as it worked flawlessly a minute before I did the sound file changeover. Before this is asked, I've already tried a feature reset, factory reset, and turned the volume up in all the settings. I do NOT receive a response in conventional either.
PLEASE let me know if I'm missing something, or if there's a way to completely wipe the engine and start clean. I thought I did that but could be missing something.