I put an older PS2 SW switcher on my layout the other day; it moved for about 30 seconds and then it stopped. I put the switcher on another loop, and saw it was drawing too many amps.
I then decided to open it up and investigate it, along with searching the forum for help.
The pic below from this forum topic, https://ogrforum.ogaugerr.com/...r-ps2-sd60-just-died, is an almost identical view of what I found:
The left-most, blue capacitor is slightly bulged; the red wire and black wire touching the top surface of it are both melted, slightly bare, and stuck to the top of the cap.
My questions are:
1. Did the red wire & the black wire melt from both being squeezed against the cap, melting away their wire insulation, causing DC voltage to touch and blow the cap? Or,
2. Did the capacitor blow from a DC regulator or white PS2 battery issue, thus melting the two wires?
3. Either way, do I open and inspect my many PS2 engines and move these two wires away from touching the top of the capacitor?
4. While I am in there, do I replace all of my white PS2 batteries with battery eliminators?
5. At this point, do I disconnect the wire harness at the DC regulator and put AC to it to verify it works properly? Finally,
6. How do I get these PS2 boards apart to change out the capacitor, and see if my switcher can be revived?
Thanks in advance for the responses!