I recently purchased an MTH Premier CNW U30C (20-20931-1) which I had intended to be part of a static display with MTH O-gauge rolling stock, and detailed CNW art prints purchased many years ago. However, the ‘I want to see this run’ bug has bitten so am thinking of creating a short ‘test’ track so I can see the engine actually move and function.
My question is, what do I need to power and run the engine? I’m not creating a layout, have only one engine, no switches, etc., but starting from scratch. I’d like to have basic DCS functions but don’t need all the ‘bells and whistles’ (no pun intended).
I think I need:
- A few sections of RealTrax
- The DCS Remote Commander set
- The RealTrax Lighted Lockon
- The RealTrax Wire Harness, to connect the Lockon with the Remote Commander receiver
- A power supply, such as the Z-560, Z-500 brick (or Z-1000 or Z-750?), to power the Remote Commander receiver. Not sure which would be best, obviously don’t need a lot of power.
Do I have this right; will this setup work? My last O-gauge experience was with my brother’s Lionel set from when we were kids a long, long time ago. I do have a 15+-year old MRC Tech 4 220, used to power a small HO gauge layout I had at the time, that has AC output terminals, but it hasn’t been turned on for 15 years.
A power supply and the Remote Commander set seem to be the most elusive items to find online, out-of-stock at many places (for new equipment).