Skip to main content

The stoves are coming along. I got the base, stoves, and some of their plumbing printed. Nothing is glued together because I'm still working out print speeds and orientations. I haven't mounted this to a piece of wood yet either. I'm quite pleased with how the details have come out even though they're technically a little oversized. I didn't know my printer was capable of printing that fine.


I still have more piping to add. There will also be catwalks. I wandered around the stoves at Carrie furnace but to be honest, that place is so dense and so big that it's honestly difficult to follow what's going on. So I ended up just doing a bunch more research online to get an idea of what the plumbing would look like.

I also started on the high line. Early US blast furnaces (at least in the Mahoning Valley) had a raised portion of track. The raw materials would be dumped into piles under the raised tracks and guys would cart the raw materials to an elevator from there. That's what I'm modelling instead of an ore yard. Ore yards were typical in the 20th century but the Anna Furnace in Struthers and the Mary Furnace in Lowellville did not use them at all. Anna was demolished in the 50s and Mary in the 60s (I believe). Here's what I've come up with so far:


I'm guessing the final height will be 5"-5.5". I followed the NMRA guidelines but I'll be fine tuning that height to more accurately match how tight things were in northeast Ohio/western Pennsylvania. A lot of mills were shoehorned into tight spots and I think that's what makes the photos and everything so interesting to me. I'm not sure what rail I'll be using on the grade and trestle sections but I'm looking for opinions. I do intend to actually unload coal from the bottoms of hoppers.

So that's the latest. I've started remodeling the basement bathroom. That's relevant because I'm planning to have people stop over to run trains in the future but I didn't include any photos because it's really a mess down there. I'm dealing with someone's decision not to put enough valves in so I spent most of the day yesterday soldering new valves in place so I can put a toilet, vanity, and shower in without turning the water off to the whole darn house. I didn't make the most beautiful plumbing solder joints but I have no leaks and professionals would notice which joint was my first and which one was my last because I got better as the day went on


Images (8)
  • IMG_20230318_170235_1
  • IMG_20230318_170247_1
  • IMG_20230318_170300_1
  • IMG_20230318_170316_1
  • IMG_20230318_170335_1
  • IMG_20230318_170335_2
  • IMG_20230318_170359_1
  • IMG_20230318_170409_1


Things have been really moving steadily for you. It is very impressive seeing your steel mill transform into reality. Based on your photos you clearly have done a lot of research. I'm sure you probably have mentioned what type of 3D printer you have somewhere in the thread, so I will understand if you tell me to go find it. However, if you're feeling generous, can you share that information again?


Thanks @luvindemtrains I appreciate that.

Most definitely! I'm rockin' a Creality CR10S Pro. I don't know if a stock CR10S Pro will do the things you see here so I'll list my modifications/upgrades:

  1. Microswiss All Metal Hot End with 0.4mm nozzle
  2. Z-axis lead screw synchronizing belt kit
  3. A glass mirror with adhesive backed build sheet

I use Solidworks, Slic3r, and Octopi. That's a bit more info than you asked for but I don't want you to buy a CR10S Pro (or a similarly priced machine) and be bummed if it won't do the same thing as mine. Shoot me an email if you have more questions. I would be happy to help!

Add Reply

The Track Planning and Layout Design Forum is sponsored by

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
Link copied to your clipboard.