Skip to main content

Been a while since I posted here, bought this 8 wheel chassis from york last April for cheap and thought it would be a great starting point for a loco I've always wanted in O gauge, the Central Pacific 4-8-0 "mastodon" locomotive. So far ive started making new cylinders and steam chest. Boiler will probably be brass, not sure what will power this thing currently as the motor this chassis came with is wayyy to big! FB_IMG_1544027171148-229_Mastodon [2)FB_IMG_1544027166840

Attachments

Images (3)
  • FB_IMG_1544027171148
  • FB_IMG_1544027166840
  • -229_Mastodon (2)
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

O-o-o-o - slice, dice and cuss. A guy after my own heart. Let us see the results - or progress along the way.

One thing - I know nothing about your scratch building/bashing experience (I've done quite a bit over the years), but this promises to be quite a project. If it is your first...be patient. Always better to start with something not too ambitious.

If you are experienced...never mind. 

D500 posted:

O-o-o-o - slice, dice and cuss. A guy after my own heart. Let us see the results - or progress along the way.

One thing - I know nothing about your scratch building/bashing experience (I've done quite a bit over the years), but this promises to be quite a project. If it is your first...be patient. Always better to start with something not too ambitious.

If you are experienced...never mind. 

I've done scratchbuilding and kitbashing before so I want to tackle a project like this! Yeah definately I'm gonna take my time with it. 

20201221_11473720201221_11222120201221_11105120200706_143537

Well after a few years I'm back onto working on this project, not much has been done but so far I have a set of cylinders, pilot truck crosshead guides, a pilot (needed a 1880s style cowcatcher) all these parts were mostly sourced from another project locomotive that I bought and figured it would work better on this. I also have a boiler but it's mostly serving as a mock-up, this wont be the final boiler as I need a tube smaller, and I have to make the wagon top firebox. As for the motor I'm thinking of using the existing coupling from the original Lionel kotor, and matching it up to a smaller motor. Can't say how it will be set up yet. Sometime this week I will be starting to modify the chassis to accept these parts.  The drive rods from the cylinders will most likely be scratch built. Stay tuned!

Attachments

Images (4)
  • 20201221_114737
  • 20201221_112221
  • 20201221_111051
  • 20200706_143537

Did some work yesterday, I cut some unwanted metal of the chassis so the "new" cylinder and saddle can fit then cut down the saddle to the height I needed, shape isn't finalized just yet. The crossheads I think I'm going to use some old Lionel postwar ones I have lying around, I will have to make new crosshead guides along with a pair of drive rods. The front of the chassis will be grinded back so the brass pilot can be fitted. The cowcatcher on the pilot will be cut off so a more accurate 1880's wooden style one can be added. Once all this is set up and everything rolls nicely I can start work on the permanent boiler and motor setup.

Some progress I've made on this Locomotive. Boiler is nearing completion, cylinders almost finished, pilot truck finshed (modified Lionel General pilot truck) and I've made a motor set up using parts of the original this chassis came with, we will see how well it works when I test it but it fits perfectly (I had to remove the leaf springs above the rear drive wheels beforehand) motor is a 12 volt motor I had in a box of motors. Next will be the pilot, valve guides and drive rods. 20210126_12475120210126_12475620210126_124957

Attachments

Images (3)
  • 20210126_124751
  • 20210126_124756
  • 20210126_124957

Some updates on this project, the boiler and cylinders were primed, and a set of domes were found, they are from a Lionel G scale 0-6-0, they still need work but they were perfect for this project, pretty much spot on. I've also started the running boards made from brass. The plan is to have the boiler, running boards and cab all screw together. Tender recieved new trucks. Other stuff that is progressing is the drive rods and valve gear, pilotdeck and Cowcatcher, and the cab, will be using part of a Lionel General cab, the rest built from styrene and acrylic sheet per the prototype. The motor has been tested and does work rather well.

Add Reply

Post
OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
330-757-3020

www.ogaugerr.com
×
×
×
×
Link copied to your clipboard.
×
×