Skip to main content

Received notice the first batch is 4 weeks away and the second a month later...

 

Many folks have been asking for an update regarding the O scale SD70ACe/ SD70M-2 production so I asked the folks at A-Train Model to deliver some images showing the models in production for your viewing.  Below you will find images of a number of the models in various levels of paint and lettering.  Note that these units are in process and by no means complete and presented to exhibit progress on the units.  None of the colors are under any controlled light.  

At the beginning of the year we purchased and  shipped the new Pittman can motors and Kadee #740 new generation couplers for installation on these locomotives. 

The following units are planned for the first delivery... 
CA-1130 UP SD70ACe 8400 and 8500s 
CA-1134 CN SD70M-2 early 8800s 
CA-1136 NS SD70M-2 2700s 
CA-1140 UP SD70ACe 8600 and 8700s 
CA-1141 NS SD70ACe early 1000s 
CA-1142 CN SD70M-2 8850-8900

Other units will follow in the second order.  When we receive a production delivery change we will notify you promptly.

We look forward to hearing from you and thank you so much for your support.  We also look forward to your progress payment on these locomotives to assist the builder and ourselves in covering expenses incurred.

Sincerely,

Brian Marsh 
Overland Models, Inc.
 

 I just included a teaser 

OMI #CA-1147 CSX SD70ACe #4831-4850 series

 

Last edited by pitogo
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Originally Posted by pitogo:
 
Hi Michael, Aren't these models in the $900 to 1000 dollar range? Saw some of these for sale on the bay recently and they were asking $1500 bucks a pop. Too rich for my blood. Bill 

Received notice the first batch is 4 weeks away and the second a month later...

 

Many folks have been asking for an update regarding the O scale SD70ACe/ SD70M-2 production so I asked the folks at A-Train Model to deliver some images showing the models in production for your viewing.  Below you will find images of a number of the models in various levels of paint and lettering.  Note that these units are in process and by no means complete and presented to exhibit progress on the units.  None of the colors are under any controlled light.  

At the beginning of the year we purchased and  shipped the new Pittman can motors and Kadee #740 new generation couplers for installation on these locomotives. 

The following units are planned for the first delivery... 
CA-1130 UP SD70ACe 8400 and 8500s 
CA-1134 CN SD70M-2 early 8800s 
CA-1136 NS SD70M-2 2700s 
CA-1140 UP SD70ACe 8600 and 8700s 
CA-1141 NS SD70ACe early 1000s 
CA-1142 CN SD70M-2 8850-8900

Other units will follow in the second order.  When we receive a production delivery change we will notify you promptly.

We look forward to hearing from you and thank you so much for your support.  We also look forward to your progress payment on these locomotives to assist the builder and ourselves in covering expenses incurred.

Sincerely,

Brian Marsh 
Overland Models, Inc.
 

 I just included a teaser 

OMI #CA-1147 CSX SD70ACe #4831-4850 series

 

 

900-1000 for these types of models, are you in the mastodon ice age or what.
I be leave OMI stated that they would be 24-2700.
 
This is what High end brass is going for. I just got a set of Key models Missouri Pacific E6 AB in the Eagle Blue and gray with all the whistles and bells--lighted mars and HL engine room lighting---dash gauge lighting in the cab--and last but not least a toilet and TP holder in the engine room( I am not kidding about the toilet) These pupies were 3600.00 for the set only 2 sets made.
 
Yep to rich for your blood.
 
William
 
 
 
Originally Posted by BASEMENTBILL:
Originally Posted by pitogo:
 
Hi Michael, Aren't these models in the $900 to 1000 dollar range? Saw some of these for sale on the bay recently and they were asking $1500 bucks a pop. Too rich for my blood. Bill 

Received notice the first batch is 4 weeks away and the second a month later...

 

Many folks have been asking for an update regarding the O scale SD70ACe/ SD70M-2 production so I asked the folks at A-Train Model to deliver some images showing the models in production for your viewing.  Below you will find images of a number of the models in various levels of paint and lettering.  Note that these units are in process and by no means complete and presented to exhibit progress on the units.  None of the colors are under any controlled light.  

At the beginning of the year we purchased and  shipped the new Pittman can motors and Kadee #740 new generation couplers for installation on these locomotives. 

The following units are planned for the first delivery... 
CA-1130 UP SD70ACe 8400 and 8500s 
CA-1134 CN SD70M-2 early 8800s 
CA-1136 NS SD70M-2 2700s 
CA-1140 UP SD70ACe 8600 and 8700s 
CA-1141 NS SD70ACe early 1000s 
CA-1142 CN SD70M-2 8850-8900

Other units will follow in the second order.  When we receive a production delivery change we will notify you promptly.

We look forward to hearing from you and thank you so much for your support.  We also look forward to your progress payment on these locomotives to assist the builder and ourselves in covering expenses incurred.

Sincerely,

Brian Marsh 
Overland Models, Inc.
 

 I just included a teaser 

OMI #CA-1147 CSX SD70ACe #4831-4850 series

 

 

Originally Posted by pitogo:
Bill, they retail for $2495.

Wow!!!     The last time I saw something with that price tag on it was when my wife and I visited FAO Schwartz in NYC during Christmastime when Lionel had released the Allegheny.  The MSRP was around $1800 as I recall, but FAO had it on the floor for $2495.  

 

Those price-points are way, WAY out of my league for a locomotive -- especially for a basic diesel SD70ACE at that.  But I'm sure there's a market for those products if they continue to make them.

 

David

Originally Posted by RockyMountaineer:
Those price-points are way, WAY out of my league for a locomotive -- especially for a basic diesel SD70ACE at that.  But I'm sure there's a market for those products if they continue to make them.

 

David

I almost balked at it due to the price. But I really wanted a great model of one of the locomotives I run at work. I think it will totally be worth it and I wish I could afford a couple more!


CN_Hogger

I be-leave these are Ho models if I am not wrong representative of what OMI is bring in. The track display tells the story. If I am right then this post is misleading for the actual thing. just my opinion.
Marty
Originally Posted by superpower:
Micheal,

That looks really nice, OMI did a nice job on those. It's good to see OMI putting out some O scale product again and probably with more detail than earlier releases. Hopefully the ES44 is next. This is a little pic list of what would be nice by OMI in O.

BNSF_ES44AC_H3_04[1]
UP_GE_Evo_03[1]
BNSF_SD70MAC_23[1]
BN_SD70MAC_03[1]
BNSF_SD70MAC_XP_05[1]
SP_SD70M_02[1]
SSW_GP40-2_04[1]
UP_SD70M_02[1]
UP_SD70M_05[1]
SF_GP50_04[1]
IC_SD70_03[1]

Travis
The 2 importer are catering to a different market. The two do not compare Key at this point is state of the art, Sunset do not be fooled pricing is on the rise with each new release. But in there price range Sunset is good for the dollor
 
Marty
 
 
 
Originally Posted by Yves:

I am glad we have SUNSET who still makes things at a more reasonable price. I will never own a KEY, for sure.

 

Yves

Hey just wait for 3rd rail to bring um in for 885 as dummys ansd 1670 with the china drive powered. Then  the price of the overland version for 2495.00 looks in line.That's plastic verses brass.
 
Marty
 
 
 
Originally Posted by Enginear-Joe:

 I wish you rich guys would stop showing me these.

 

Just look away Joe.....just look away....

 

MG are they road specific with the detailing?

 URRRggggg

 

  look away......

I got yelled at for buying more track!! How can you do this to me???????????

That CN is a M-2!!! Urrrrrrr

 I hope you guys know I'm joking. Again, I had an HO version and loved it, and that was plastic. I'm only jealous, and drooling. These are fine works of art. I can appreciate the work that goes in, especially now that I'm building one. If my income matched my tastes, I would be ordering these. I get into trouble getting 2 to 300$ engines.

 I had always hoped that I may obtain one someday. I keep buying more mass produced products and they fill my needs. It's fun to see what's out there. Maybe when I'm older, it will become a prized possession. I just got in too many G gauge ones and now I've got to pay for them. I need to focus. Pics like these make it tough.

Marty(t610),

 

My post wasn't meant to mislead you are anyone else. The pics I posted are my own wish list that I'm hoping will be made by OMI in the future, of course not all at one time. Yes most of the pics are HO models,except the BNSF H3 SD70mac and the BN SD70mac, which are O scale models that OMI produced in the mid to late 90's.

 

The OMI HO models are a good representation of what the O scale models would look like, with the difference being size(and price) with better details that you can see from farther away and appreciate more.

 

These SD70aces posted above should be OMG beautiful as OMI has improved their product with each subsequent production run.

 

Travis

 

 

I would like to have my CSXs pulling a very long stack train, but I only have 3 sets of Atlas O Gundersons. Two are CSX Sealand, and 1 TTX.  I was hoping Atlas O would produce the stack cars they've made in HO.  That may be a long wait, things are moving very slow at Atlas and/or suppliers in China. 
 
Your lionel stack cars looked great.
 
 
Originally Posted by pitogo:
Originally Posted by MikesRR:

It would be great to see your CSX units running on the NYSME, and your impression of them. 

You and me both.  They will be awesome I hope.  My first modern brass diesels.  I have a long and heavy stack train for them.  It takes 3 units to pull the train around on the UCRR.  

 

Overland has emailed pickup notices for the SD70ACes.  As soon as  they are all paid for they can be shipped from Korea.

 

From cancellations Overland currently has several available @$2500.

 

These include one or two of

 

UP DRGW Heritage

UP SP Heritage

UP MP Heritage

UP MKT Heritage

UP

BNSF

CN

BHP

EMDX

 

If anyone is interested contact Overland.

There are actually more than 9 as there is more than one of a couple of liveries.

 

People that reserved them put down $300 per locomotive towards the purchase price 2 years ago and $500 about one year ago.  That money was sent to the manufacturer in Korea as progress payments.  The remainder is now due.

 

The number reserved is the number that were built.  They are sitting in Korea all finished.  Anything bought from any overseas manufacturer the importer pays in full the contract price before they leave the country.  That is true for Lionel, 3rd Rail/GGD, Atlas or Overland, etc.  Some importers collect deposits upon reservation some once the shipping notice is sent from the manufacturer and some when received.

 

Due to the losses last time by Overland with O scale they would not do any more O Scale without some risk mitigation of the up front and midpoint payments.

 

Whether or not those people who paid the $300/800 and subsequently cancel get any money back is between them and Overland.  My guess, and it is a rank guess, is that if other purchasers are found before Overland has to cough up the remainder to get them sent from Korea will get their payments back; otherwise not.

 

When that date is I do not know but probably less than 30 days or the manufacturer will freak out.

 

Does that answer the question?

 

I want several of them but can't make up my mind which ones and cannot afford all that I would like to get so if someone else would please get some that will reduce my choices hopefully down to the number I can afford.

No wonder OMI is having problems. I will not pay up front  for any model. I expect the importer to have them made and shipped to the USA. Once they are ready to ship to me, then I will pay. 

 

I refuse to front money for the importer. If OMI or any other importer does this then it is time for them to get out of the business. Leave it to somebody who has the finances to deal with problems, not the customers. 

 

 

David,

You have to understand though that for allowing the importer to use your money you do get a discount (at least in this case anyway, maybe others too).  I believe someone mentioned on this forum that the original price for these SD70ACe units was around $2100 ea. for those that had reservations and put down a deposit.  If you wanted to wait until they arrived stateside and didn't want to front the importer some money, the price is now $2495 according to the Overland site.  I guess the old cliché "Pay me now, or pay me later" applies .      

                  .

In terms of deposits, I don't think Overland is all that bad.  Consider Kohs 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 policy for their new Challenger that took 3+ years (about the same as these OMI SD70ACes).  I don't know what the original reservation price of the Kohs Challenger was so I don't know if there was an early reservation discount or not.  MMW has the same reservation/payment policy as Kohs for their proposed O Scale models.  Apparently, there are some Kohs Challengers left over due to some reservation holders backing out and the price is $5500, cash and carry

 

Scott

Austin, TX

This is an incredibly small market.  I suppose not many folks are getting wealthy doing this.  A purchaser has every right to wait and look at an object before committing to buy it, but on the other hand, an importer of small quantities like these is constrained.

 

There are folks who have literally lost their shirts on these kinds of deals.

 

I am delighted that such nice models are produced.  I am even more delighted that my own tastes and budget inclines toward the lower priced models.  More money for Avgas.

Originally Posted by Scott Kay:

David,

You have to understand though that for allowing the importer to use your money you do get a discount (at least in this case anyway, maybe others too).  I believe someone mentioned on this forum that the original price for these SD70ACe units was around $2100 ea. for those that had reservations and put down a deposit.  If you wanted to wait until they arrived stateside and didn't want to front the importer some money, the price is now $2495 according to the Overland site.  I guess the old cliché "Pay me now, or pay me later" applies .      

                  .

In terms of deposits, I don't think Overland is all that bad.  Consider Kohs 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 policy for their new Challenger that took 3+ years (about the same as these OMI SD70ACes).  I don't know what the original reservation price of the Kohs Challenger was so I don't know if there was an early reservation discount or not.  MMW has the same reservation/payment policy as Kohs for their proposed O Scale models.  Apparently, there are some Kohs Challengers left over due to some reservation holders backing out and the price is $5500, cash and carry

 

Scott

Austin, TX

I understand all to well but my point is I will not under any circumstance front my money for any importer. This includes the importer, dealer or the like. I buy their products, not invest in their business. 

 

I invest my money in the market and wait for the product to arrive. I can make more money  then their discount. 

 

Besides I can get any product I want once it arrives without over paying.

 

 

Anything you want after it arrives. Try getting a MaBac Testerone
 
thats a car they only make 6 a year. 500,000 per unit deposit required old friend. total price 3 Million.
 
Marty
 
Originally Posted by david1:
Originally Posted by Scott Kay:

David,

You have to understand though that for allowing the importer to use your money you do get a discount (at least in this case anyway, maybe others too).  I believe someone mentioned on this forum that the original price for these SD70ACe units was around $2100 ea. for those that had reservations and put down a deposit.  If you wanted to wait until they arrived stateside and didn't want to front the importer some money, the price is now $2495 according to the Overland site.  I guess the old cliché "Pay me now, or pay me later" applies .      

                  .

In terms of deposits, I don't think Overland is all that bad.  Consider Kohs 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 policy for their new Challenger that took 3+ years (about the same as these OMI SD70ACes).  I don't know what the original reservation price of the Kohs Challenger was so I don't know if there was an early reservation discount or not.  MMW has the same reservation/payment policy as Kohs for their proposed O Scale models.  Apparently, there are some Kohs Challengers left over due to some reservation holders backing out and the price is $5500, cash and carry

 

Scott

Austin, TX

I understand all to well but my point is I will not under any circumstance front my money for any importer. This includes the importer, dealer or the like. I buy their products, not invest in their business. 

 

I invest my money in the market and wait for the product to arrive. I can make more money  then their discount. 

 

Besides I can get any product I want once it arrives without over paying.

 

 

 

 I understand how it feels to put out some cash and then wait for something. However several engines have been cancelled for lack of interest. As an owner of several MTH scale wheeled SD70ACes and M-2s, and even scratch building a G scale one, I can appreciate the details of these works of art. My final bill for custom building an engine out of plastic, is getting absurd. I could have ordered one of these.

 I can't help staring at how finely detailed these are with even road specific additions. Take the CN, it has high marker lights for example. However this company wants payment, I hope you guys realize what an opportunity you're getting. It's almost like they're custom building engines to order. Wait a while, and they'll be gone. I wish I had preordered!

http://www.overlandmodels.com/showroom.php?scale=2#

That's beauty of hobbies.  You can go after or decline anything for any reasons you wish.  Me, I'd rather have and pay for, under Overlands rules, one of their SD70ACes than 5 of anything Lionel or MTH have ever made.  And that's about the price differential.

 

I want to try and keep Overland going in O Scale because I want some decent ES44s.  And if that only happens because I put up money up front that's OK, I trust Overland to do as I expect.  I do not trust others the same.  

 

So, by and large I would not put down money up front either.  So far I have been lucky enough to back out of things before CC charges were made from retailers like Charles Ro when what XYZ delivered was below my minimum expectation.

 

But, to each his own.  You spend your money your way and I'll spend mine my way.   

 

I made the money to pay for these in the market, it's why I am in the market.  I'm not King Midas.  My gold it a tool to get what I want not to have and to hold.  I put down $5K for a Tesla S and had to back out when the market did not come through when it was time to fish or cut bait.  c'est la vie.

Well it is already being done. Key models will build anything you want to your specs in there current production runs, all you have to do is make a reservation. Alot of there oodball E paint schemes are customer request.
 
I was one of those. The Mopac E6's I wanted blue pilots. they were run on the Colorado Eagle. Key did the in blue no questions asked.
 
 
Marty
 
 
 
Originally Posted by Enginear-Joe:

 I understand how it feels to put out some cash and then wait for something. However several engines have been cancelled for lack of interest. As an owner of several MTH scale wheeled SD70ACes and M-2s, and even scratch building a G scale one, I can appreciate the details of these works of art. My final bill for custom building an engine out of plastic, is getting absurd. I could have ordered one of these.

 I can't help staring at how finely detailed these are with even road specific additions. Take the CN, it has high marker lights for example. However this company wants payment, I hope you guys realize what an opportunity you're getting. It's almost like they're custom building engines to order. Wait a while, and they'll be gone. I wish I had preordered!

http://www.overlandmodels.com/showroom.php?scale=2#

 

You guys have it right for sure.  Those Overland models are truly spectacular models and done to perfection. Nothing further needed on that clarification to say the least.  The photos on their website show how well the craftsmanship has been done. I say it is at the 100% level.  You really have some spectacular models right there.  

Originally Posted by t610:
Well it is already being done. Key models will build anything you want to your specs in there current production runs, all you have to do is make a reservation.
...
Marty

 

Current production run are the operative words.  Lets see, I reserved a set of Key CZ cars in 2007 and cancelled them in 2009 when they were delayed yet another year.  And they were delivered?  Oh yeah, not yet.  I reserved a Key ATSF E1 AB set and what arrived was nothing like I expected, they were done as after 10 years of modifications instead of as delivered.  Because of the reservation charge my LHS had on Key I had the pleasure of loosing $200 selling an unopened box.  

 

If I wait till what, 2025 or later, Key "might" do ES44s.  No doubt the Key SD40-2 will be exquisite when they show up, if not cancelled because Midwestern got there first.  If someone commits to 2 years or less with a reservation charge I'm OK with that so long as I can trust that what I reserved is what I get.  Overland has maintained that trust with me for a decade.

 

When Overland took reservations they said to expect 18 months for delivery,  they are now 4 months late.  That, while annoying, is also miraculous, not even Lionel does any better.

 

This waiting till they get to it and get it right mantra only means they will arrive the day after I drop dead.

Manufacturers like Overland are just following the money and although models in our scale probably command a much higher profit, the volume just isn't there anymore.  Too much diversity for too limited of a market; having O Standard and Proto 48 doesn't help much either, not to mention all the eras and road names that the limited number of O modelers are split among.  I think Atlas has done a decent job holding down the fort, but adding more manufacturers into the mix will help rather than hurt companies like Atlas.  By that I mean bring in a BLMA or Exact Rail to add more variety (probably for the more modern market to get the younger crowd) and couple that with O Scale going more mainstream, e.g. articles in Model Railroader magazine (not their Toy Train brethren) or Model Railroad Hobbyist online magazine, for example, to get more exposure and cross-overs will come with their hobby dollars to support those companies when they see what is capable in O scale.  It is only then that companies like Overland will come back to O Scale.  I was actually happily surprised MR ran a two page O scale (On3) article in the latest issue on using HO switch stands for O scale.  Feature articles on Christopher N&W's layout or the O scale club layout in Fresno, CA would be huge hits, I'm sure  (I know there are many, many more 2-Rail layouts on this forum as well (Big or Small) that would also be big hits.  Even articles like converting a 3-Rail car to 2-Rail might garner a nice piece.  2-Rail has to step-up if it is expected to be anything more than 3-Rail's awkward little brother.  I know that 3-Rail is where much of our volume comes from but 2-Rail is almost non-existent in the mainstream modeling community and there is a lot of cool stuff going on that no one knows about. 

 

Scott

Austin, TX 

 
Originally Posted by hibar:

According to Overlands newsletter a minimum of 3 units were required for each road variation wanted, they also stated these would be the last O scale models they would import.

 

Add Reply

Post

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

×
×
×
×
Link copied to your clipboard.
×
×