Hello Gents, and Ladies...
I am excited to enter the next iteration of having a layout in my home - it has been quite some time (19 years).
Pauls New Layout – Design Input Please
So I am a paper / pencil guy when it comes to layout planning. With that said, I’m not strong in the skill of visualizing what can be created in a given space. Let me explain my first thoughts of Paul’s New Layout.
There are two rooms, let’s call them the Main and Second. They will be connected by two tunnels through the wall as indicated in the attached diagram. Each square is 1'. I’ll be using Mianne Benchwork and all new Gargraves Track. RCS Switches will replace my Lionel 072’s. I run conventional, TMCC / Legacy and DCS.
Note the existing “shelves” on the walls. I’d like to use those for a upper main and maybe a yard lead. These may turn out to determine the height of the upper level. I envision some way to use the tunnels to extend the mains on the upper level into the second room while still being able to have a good size yard in that space. Maybe I’m dreaming.
I have looked at the space two ways:
- As two separate rooms with the second mainly a yard and a couple of mains around the edges connecting both rooms
- Trying to visualize there is no wall and look at it as one big room to plan the space. Placing needed tunnels through the wall.
The diagram shows two tunnels – one on each end of the length of the second room connecting to the main room.
Right now, there is no “theme” per se, there will be some whimsical corners and mostly scenery and a few small buildings and accessories. I know I can’t get it all, BUT
ideally I would like: (I know I can’t get it all)
- Upper Level, Main Level, and potential lower level for subway / staging
- One 072 main if possible – this decision is giving me the most agita, I own nothing that would require that in my stable – but I’d love a scale GG1 and the rest is a downhill slope~~~
- Two mainlines on first level – grades and cuts)
- Station with passing track. Another passing track for a freight somewhere.
- No Duck-Unders
- Most everything in reach
- A transition from main level to upper / lower Levels (Lower if used as staging)
- A reverse loop on at least one main somewhere
- A bridge or three
- A large yard in Second room with a long yard lead (this is my initial thought for the Second Room)
- Turntable? (I don’t think I have the space to dedicate - maybe the new Atlas model
- Varying height in Terrain on the Main level?
- Cuts / Fills
There are two doors which need a clear path to and from - also indicated on diagram.
If this is vague enough for someone to give it a go, I’d love to see your thoughts either penciled out or whatever program output you may have access.
This is a first blush but I am trying to get a jump on the Winter Train Project in our new home. Painting the walls is done and track lighting has been installed. Next step (besides layout design) is shelving for the walls. This will allow me to see for the first time in many years my entire “collection” – such that it is.
I’m looking forward to getting this started and thank you for any help / suggestions / ideas.
All the best,