After tearing down my first layout last winter, moving in April, finishing the basement myself, I am finally ready to build this layout. I have been planning this since we were under contract for this new home, because the basement is quite large. After spending my summer finishing the basement I convinced my wife to give me a large portion of real estate for this layout.
My goal for this is to use a MRS 28 inch turntable as the centerpiece of the left section of the layout and a mountain scene/staging yard on the right. I want to be able to run 2 trains at a time on two spate loops. During my design process I drafted up 10 different layout designs, all around the same general shape. This plan is layout #9. The 10th rendering provided me with some ideas on expansion in the future, but right now, this amount of track will be enough to keep me busy for a long time!
After listening to a tip by a fellow forum member (G3750) I've jotted down some stats for this layout.
Vital Statistics of the proposed Layout:
- Size & Shape: Dog bone “L” – Top section 9’ x 35’ bottom section 10’ X 25’.
- Track: GarGraves and Ross with RCS turnouts
- Yards: Staging Yard, Menards Grain Mill, Morrison’s Door Factory, Auto Rack Yard, Oil Refinery, Turntable w/ roundhouse
- Command System: TMCC/Legacy
- Wiring & Blocking: Planning for 6 blocks, Bus wiring.
- Power: Lionel ZW will be used to power TBD blocks, Lionel 180 bricks will be used for remaining blocks and turnouts. Accessories will be powered with 12v adapters.
- Signals: TBD.
- Table will be uniform @ 36’’.
- ½ plywood will be used as the subroadbed
- Cork roadbed will be used.
- Appearance boards will be applied at the conclusion of the build with skirts.
- Operation of at least 2 engines at a time with activity in yards.
- O72 Min curve
- Long track plan for extended operation
- Industrial down feel around the turntable and passenger station
- Mountains at the lower section of the “L”
- Tunnels will be used for returning track
- 48 inch truss bridge will be used
I will keep this thread updated as much as possible during this process. Any tips or suggestions are greatly appreciated!